Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP can't find airport extreme but internet works

I have a MBP with Lion. I just purchased an airport extreme and connected an external harddrive with time machine linked to it. Perodically my MBP, loses the Airport Extreme base station and cant find the Airport Extreme. It cant find it in Airport Utility even after rescanning. When this occures, time machine wont work because it cant find the drive/server. I can manually locate the airport extreme by using the IP address though and I have a working internet connection. But it's getting annoying because it seems to be at random that the base station just disapears.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 9:58 AM

13 replies

Sep 1, 2011 10:36 AM in response to superstilk

Time Machine needs to see the AE to work and Time Machine tries to connect every hour. AE disapears numerous times a day and I dont know when because I get no warning since the internet continues to works. The only way i know AE disapears is becuas Time machine says it cant find the server.

I wasnt expecting all this work when I switched to AE.

Sep 1, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Lexiepex

WIFI singal is great. I'll never lose internet access or a connection. It's just perodically the MBP, running lion, doesnt see the AE. When it doenst see the AE I wont have a connection to the printer or the harddrive.

Oh, also. When all this happens and a time machine backup was never completed, it wont resume when the MBP sees the AE, either because I reset it or it eventually finds it. It just looks for the disk image and come back with the error ...parsebundle” is already in use

Sep 1, 2011 4:31 PM in response to superstilk

I bought an Airport Extreme yesterday and hooked it up today. Everything went great, but eventually all my wireless devices lost their connections. I've read several other forums where this has been observed as far back as 2009. Most attribute it to a firmware update, but that certainly isn't my case. My wireless devices include a Samsung TV, a Sony 'Google TV' internet box, and two Macs just to name a few of what I connected today. And they eventually lost their connection. Wired connections don't seem to be affected.

It appears that Airport Extreme's wireless feature is going into a sleep mode that is hard for it to wake up from, or it's overheating (it gets very hot). And this has nothing to do with signal strength, range, or interference. It could be a combination of settings as a 2010 post stated that Apple told him to do a hard reset and ensure "Allow Setup over WAN..." and "Allow SNMP" are both unchecked. Neither are checked on mine, so I guessing that might have been a lucky workaround back then. It's a pain to restart AE and re-enter the password on any device just because AE might have been idle for a period. After more than 2 years of this behavior, I'm surprised it continues to this day with no fix or clear explanation. Maybe there's a solution out there somewhere.....

Sep 23, 2011 6:42 PM in response to superstilk

Anyone has found a real solution to this problem? I keep having this problem of not accessing the Airport Extreme (Airport Utility does not find it and can't make backups), even though I'm connected to Internet through it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I just made the move from Windows to Mac by buying the new Macbook Air with Lion and an Airport Extreme. Experience with AE has been extremely frustrating.

Sep 25, 2011 1:17 AM in response to superstilk

Hi, back again. When you open Network / Airport / Advanced put the connection you want to the top and any other name from the same Wifi to the bottom, save.

In the Airport Extreme you have 2 frequencies at the same time, 5 and 2.4 GHz. 5 is the best but has a lower signal strenghth. Make sure that you have the one you want on top the other one at the bottom. First you have to give them a different name (with Airport Utility, manual setup) to be able to see them both as different names.

Dec 31, 2015 4:55 PM in response to Lexiepex

It's not a matter of connecting to the right WiFi network. My WIFI is at the top of my list.

Internet is connected to my Airport Extreme's network.

The problem is that Finder doesn't connect to the Airport Extreme.

In Finder I see "My Airport Extreme / Not Connected / [Connect As...]". When I click "Connect As" nothing happens for a while then I get an alert dialog saying "There was a problem connecting to the server 'My Airport Extreme' / Check the server name or IP address, and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator".

This happens with several WIFI-connected Apple machines on my home network (one 2014 MBP, one 2015 MBP and one 2011 iMac).

MBP can't find airport extreme but internet works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.