Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install a new drive as time machine backup

I wish to replace the current time machine backup hard drive with a larger drive. What would be the correct procedure to accomplish this?

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 10:48 AM

See the section headed

Mac OS X v10.6: How to transfer your backups from your current hard drive to a new hard drive

in this article:

Mac 101: Time Machine

7 replies

Dec 12, 2013 1:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

I've tried following the finder copy procedure decribed at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5096 twice now, and both times have encountered problems. The first time I discovered I had made a mistake in specifying what to copy (two different backups in the same Time Machine folder) and had to abort. The second time I hit a hard freeze after the copying of something like 370 gig had been running for about 20 hours and had to restart the Mac. It looks like about 260 gig had transferred, but not the complete Time Machine file.

Is there a way to restart the copying procedure? I tried a 'brute force' drag and drop copy to avoid having to run the machine another 20 hours, but was blocked because of "authentication" problems.

I am running Snow Leopard.

Message was edited by: fiberhome after trying something that didn't work.

How to install a new drive as time machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.