Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

computer name with number within brackets

Hello

Since we have alle our computers connected to an Snow Leopard Server over Open Directory, we have an cosmetic problem which I am not able to solve.

In the System Preferences/Sharing/ the Computer Name is greyed. When the Computer crashed and rebooted the Computer Name ist still greyed but a Number between brackets is show (e.g. Example Computer (3).

I am not able to delete this (3) even if I delete the Network-Account-Server (and disconnect from the and reboot I am still not able to delete this Number between the brackets.

Is their a way to fix this problem ? Do other person have the same Problem?

Regards

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 11:20 AM

5 replies

Sep 1, 2011 11:58 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

I recall seeing a thread about this a year or so back. If I recall correctly, it has to do with a machine going to sleep or otherwise disconnecting from the network. When it regains a network connection, the server assigns it a number as if it were another computer with the same name... as itself.

I apologize for not hunting down the KB article number.

Sep 1, 2011 1:53 PM in response to Gerard Dirks

Here's the duplicate host names discussion that Kery O was likely recalling; this case is usually some sort of a loop, whether via a switch, via multiple network paths (wired and WiFi, etc), or otherwise.

If this is a stale entry due to the crash and not a network loop of some sort, then I'd expect that shutting down the problematic host and then tossing a HUP at the DNS service (cache flush) on each of the other hosts will clear this. (sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder) Or leave it alone, and let it clear itself out over time.

And Kery O, the behaviour around sleep? Might that have been the sleep proxy (Airport and Time Capsule) that you're remembering?

Oct 21, 2014 2:38 AM in response to Gerard Dirks

Hi,

I had this problem recently when upgrading from OS X 10.9 Mavericks to 10.10 Yosemite.

My hostname was set to "cupcake" but the Computer Name (which is the value in the System Preferences > Sharing pane) reflected as "cupcake (2)", with no means available to modify it. The "Edit" button would only change the hostname which left the Computer Name as it was.

However I found the following command that worked:

scutil --set ComputerName cupcake

computer name with number within brackets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.