9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 19, 2011 7:55 PM by AceNeerav
AceNeerav Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

I just dont understand spaces in Lion. Some apps have defaulted to all desktops, some to "This desktop"! In some apps, the right click/options menu shows Desktop 1 as an option and in some it doesn't. its just super confusing. can't drag full screen apps from one desktop to another. extended dispay shows wasted full screen space for each desktop for

i'll be getting back to use my mac for development pretty soon. last academic year i used it my mac wholly to develop my final year project in java. i realised to full extent what a beauty it truesly is for developers then. one end user feature that proved to be most useful was spaces.

i would keep 4 spaces, 2row and 2 columns. 1 would be for safari, i chat and websurfing related apps. 2 for paralles, vmware in full screen running vista. 3 for iphoto, itunes, priview etc... and 4 for my development... Netbeans IDE, terminal, xcode, Word, Power point, keynote, pages.

it really helped a focus extensively on my work. so much so that it fetched me the highest marks in the history of my college, in project.

i wish to know what exactly is the design behind lion's spaces.

thanks.

Neerav

PS: I also dearly miss front row. what good is a computer these days, if its not a built in HTPC. infact, wikipedia shows front row running on a mac mini as its top picture in its article on HTPC!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC

MacBook 7,1, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4
  • GlennW Level 3 Level 3 (625 points)

Two major things have changed for you in Lion: 1) Spaces are no longer geometric, only linear, and 2) Full-screen apps are now considered a space unto themselves.

You can still assign applications to specific Desktops (although not full-screen apps, unfortunately).  The way this works in Lion (as you appear to have discovered) is to right-click on the app's icon in the Dock, choose Options, and select "This Desktop."  Of course, the app has to be in the Desktop you want it to be in before you can do this.  If it is currently in a different Desktop, the only way to make that happen is by going into Mission Control and dragging it there.

If an app has a checkmark next to "Desktop 1" in the Options, that means it has been permanently assigned to Desktop 1.  Similarly, an app showing a checkmark next to "This Desktop" is assigned permanently to the current Desktop.  The options will only show a specific Desktop (e.g., Desktop 1 or Desktop 3) if the app has been permanently assigned to a Desktop other than the current Desktop.  There is no way to assign an app to a Desktop other than the current Desktop as you could in Snow Leopard's Spaces preferences pane.

If you had an app running full screen in Snow Leopard, e.g., VMware, that will continue to work the same way in Lion, at least until VMware changes Fusion to use the new Lion full-screen paradigm - which I sort of hope they don't.  That is, unless an app uses the new Lion full-screen thingie, indicated by the diagonal arrows in the upper-right-hand corner of the window, Lion will continue to treat it as a "regular" app rather than a "full screen" app, so you can assign it to a Desktop along with other apps.  As mentioned above, full-screen apps get their own "private" spaces separate from all other Desktops.

• AceNeerav Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

@GlennW: You will have to restore the app from full screen to the desktop and then u will get the option to change it to another desktop. i tried this with mail. then i put mail to desktop 2 by dragging it there. then in desktop 2 i switched to full screen and then the app went full screen besides desktop 2. however, there are bugs...

1. in desktop 2, the menubar suddenly dissappeared. it wont appear from above the  full screen app either.
    2. suddenly, the options to directly set the space for the app even while it is full screen appeared in the dock right click/options pane.
  • GlennW Level 3 Level 3 (625 points)

You will have to restore the app from full screen to the desktop and then u will get the option to change it to another desktop.

Yes, because at that point it is no longer a full-screen app.

i tried this with mail. then i put mail to desktop 2 by dragging it there. then in desktop 2 i switched to full screen and then the app went full screen besides desktop 2.

Yes, but again, at that point mail is no longer in Desktop 2.  It is now in its own full-screen space.

in desktop 2, the menubar suddenly dissappeared. it wont appear from above the  full screen app either.

I don't see this behavior.  The menu bar should always be there in a Desktop, and will only appear in a full-screen app if you hover the cursor at the top of the screen.  If you are not seeing the menu bar in a Desktop, or it does not appear after hovering at the top of a full-screen app, or you see the Dock in a full-screen app, those sound like bugs and you should report them to Apple.

suddenly, the options to directly set the space for the app even while it is full screen appeared in the dock right click/options pane.

The option is always there; it just doesn't do anything if the app is full-screen. I agree there are some bugs in the way this is handled.

• AJD1170 Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

Although Front Row is not part of the Lion OS, all is not lost.  You can still recover it from SL. Go to:

http://www.mac-hatter.com.  Enter Front Row in the search box.  This will take you to the page with a link to the Front Row Enabler for Lion.There you will find (1) the files you need to activate Front Row, or (2) at the bottom of the page a link to the downloadable file for the Enabler. This app. will do all the work for you to recover Front Row!

Please note: this issue has been addressed many, many times in this forum. May I suggest that when you next have an issue you wish to discuss, you review the various threads on that issue, where you will more than likely find an answer posted by one of your forum companions.

• AJD1170 Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)

I was reviewing this thread when I noticed that your profile shows that you are running 10.6.7., but your question indicates that you are running Lion.  This can be confusing to the community. It would be helpful to all if you updated your profile to show that you are running 10.7.0 or 10.7.1. Thanks.

• lkypeter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, GlennW, I used your method and now I can stick iPhoto in Desktop 3 even after I restart my machine.

• conejo61 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Glad to have found this thread. Just upgraded to Lion and I'm really confused about this stuff. I saw Glenn's advice but when I right click on the dock icon  and go to options, I don't get the option to select any desktops. I only get these three selections under options:

Keep in Dock

Open at Login

Show in Finder

that's it.

what am I missing?

in the past, I had my browser, mail and a few other basic apps on one space, some proprietary business-related apps on another, my calendar and Omnifocus  on another, etc...  Trying to figure out how to get everything off this one screen.

• conejo61 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

ok, I was being dense. Well, kinda. Actually the paradigm is so different it's confusing.

had to go into the mission control app, not preferences, and then actually add more desktops and then that creates the requisite option. When I went into mission control I wasn't seeing the plus sign, it was hidden behind an icon, which seems like a poor design option, frankly. I googled this topic and fortunately found an article talking about the + button in the upper right corner and I invoked MC twice before I finally saw just a hair of it peeking from behind an icon. I moved the icon and voila, there it was.

so now I'm good. I miss being able to go ctrl-down to get to space 3, but oh well.

• AceNeerav Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

really think that the old spaces was better. what they could do is...

1. bring back the old 2d spaces where spaces are srranged in rows and columns.
    2. let misson control display spaces like it used to before. they could show full screen apps for each spaces with small thumbnails.
    3. by default, this would also invooke expose for each desktop space. then the one shown in front taking maximum screen space can be the one on which the mouse pointer is hovered. simple.

so imagine the snowleopard spaces screen with the space in between the desktops used to show the full screen apps thumbnails of each desktop and then each desktop also shows the expose view of itself and to maximize the view all one has to do is hover the mouse pointer over a desktop.