Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Struggling with Lion Server and update services

I'm sorry in advance for not knowing what I'm doing.

I had this loosely configured with Snow Leopard. After the upgrade I can't see where to point clients to the updates. I can't even see where to check the updates for approval. I have downloaded the server admin tools and I see update services there but nothing seems to be configurable.

Thanks for your help but mostly for your patience 🙂

rhonda

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 8:30 AM

Try the following:

1. Open Server Admin.
  2. Click on Software Update.
  3. Make sure Software Update is started.
  4. Click on the Settings tab.
  5. Make sure that "Copy all new updates from Apple" and "Automatically enable copied updates" are checked, as well as "Delete outdated software updates" to save room.
  6. Save these settings. This will take a while to populate the Updates tab as it downloads from Apple.
  7. Once the updates tab starts populating, you will need to copy updates you want on your server. I believe it will copy down updates that are needed automatically.
  8. After the update is copied down and has a blue light, I believe it will need to be enabled.

The following are some resources that should help. I am still setting up this service myself as well, and will keep you posted if I make any progress. Right now my clients are completely up-to-date, so I haven't been able to test it in action yet.

Lion Server: Software Update Server may not provide Mac OS X v10 ...

Mac OS X Server: Software Update Service compatibility

~Mike

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2011 8:30 AM in response to pirutgrrrl

Try the following:

1. Open Server Admin.
  2. Click on Software Update.
  3. Make sure Software Update is started.
  4. Click on the Settings tab.
  5. Make sure that "Copy all new updates from Apple" and "Automatically enable copied updates" are checked, as well as "Delete outdated software updates" to save room.
  6. Save these settings. This will take a while to populate the Updates tab as it downloads from Apple.
  7. Once the updates tab starts populating, you will need to copy updates you want on your server. I believe it will copy down updates that are needed automatically.
  8. After the update is copied down and has a blue light, I believe it will need to be enabled.

The following are some resources that should help. I am still setting up this service myself as well, and will keep you posted if I make any progress. Right now my clients are completely up-to-date, so I haven't been able to test it in action yet.

Lion Server: Software Update Server may not provide Mac OS X v10 ...

Mac OS X Server: Software Update Service compatibility

~Mike

Sep 2, 2011 11:57 AM in response to Miggl

Thank you Mike. That was exactly what I needed.

My new problem is that all of the clients we had connected with the old server aren't there. Do you know how to ensure that un-managed clients connect to this server for updates?

We are on a windows domain and this server is providing updates only.

Thanks again for your detailed instructions.

Rhonda

Sep 2, 2011 12:03 PM in response to pirutgrrrl

Oh boy, now you have left me comfort zone. 🙂 I have never dealt with mixed server environments. I believe that you want to have the Mac server run OpenDirectory as an ActiveDirectory replica, so that the Mac Server still manages the clients, but with all the data from ActiveDirectory. However, that's only a hunch.

I'm also not sure if Bonjour will detect the software update server for unmanaged clients or not. It is quite possible that the update service is not intended for unmanaged clients.

I'm interested to know what you find out in that regard, so please post when you get it working. 🙂

~Mike

Struggling with Lion Server and update services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.