Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start-up disk almost full

Received this message today. What's the best way to figure out which files are taking up the most room, so I can figure out whether to delete or compress them?

Mac OS X (10.3.6)

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 1:06 PM

9 replies

Sep 3, 2011 9:44 AM in response to bookworm1

I also got the "startup disk almost full" notice for the first time (today). I bought my iBook G4 in July 05. This is my first foray into the forums, so thank you in advance for any tips or advice. My first thought was to delete the music from my iTunes, but this would seem to also delete the music from my iPod, no?

Sep 3, 2011 10:17 AM in response to sabado

I would think so.

It's possible to move your iTunes library to an external HD, but that may not be convenient for a laptop.

Incidentally, welcome to the forums, but please note that you've posted in a forum for Intel iMacs - there's a seperate forum for iBook.

Nevertheless, the links above may help; it's surprising sometimes how much disc space can be freed without impacting your usage of the Mac.

If you go for OmniDiskSweeper, make sure it's a version compatible with your current OS.

Ultimately, you may need to go for a larger HD or even (whisper) a new Macbook, though.

Sep 3, 2011 1:45 PM in response to bookworm1

I have been converting lots of old VHS video to DVD. I didn't realize how much space the new digital files were taking up. After using IMovie and IDVD to burn DVDs from the VHS tapes, I deleted many of the "event" files in IMovie. This gave me a lot more space on my hard drive, though I may have a problem with the "project" files, should I want to create new DVDs from them. I realize I probably should move all digital movie files to an external hard drive.

Start-up disk almost full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.