Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDTV resolution

I have a 32 inch Philips LED HD TV I am using as a monitor. It looks good but there is black around the edge of the screen. Its set at 1080p and if I choose overscan the screen is stretched so I lose part of the dock and the menu bar on top. Can I use Switch X Res or something to make this full screen and proper resolution? What settings would I be looking at? Thanks!

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 2:18 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2011 6:07 PM in response to RichCamp

You should have an "underscan" slider for that screen's Displays preference pane. See if that changes anything.

Also does yout TV have something like "full pixel" (bit-for-bit mapping, "full pixel" is the term Sony's use -- my Sony at least) in the TV's menus?

SwitchResX is good for changing combinations and arrangements of multiple monitors (including TVs). But it does not address overscan issues.

Sep 4, 2011 8:03 PM in response to RichCamp

There is no underscan feature =(

In the Mac's Displays preference panel for my TV? Below is what my Displays panel shows for the TV.

User uploaded file

Note the underscan slider. I keep it off since I have the "full-pixel" option on my Sony 32XBR6 when using a hdmi input.

At one point there was a dot-to-dot option but it only came up when the mac settings were specific and I'm not sure what those were.

I think it's time for you to read your TV's manual and what choices it gives in its menus. You need to figure out how to get that "dot-to-dot" menu option back (assuming that's their termonology for the desired result). IMO, noone else is going to be able to help your with this unless they too have Philips TV and know it's appropriate settings.

HDTV resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.