Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive

Hello all!

Years ago a friend suggested that I buy a Maxtor external HD which I did and have been happy with the two I've bought: one 160 GB, and then one 320 GB.

Now the problem is, systems and software keep growing and one is always in need of more space; it will never end...

I'm now looking to buy a 500 GB FW HD: Maxtor is no longer Maxtor but Seagate, and I'm reading bad customer reviews about their har drives, not as bad as those about iOmega but close enough.

I've also read bad user reviews about Western Digital products.

I am not familiar with the following brands:

• G-Tech, which in any case is a portable HD that I don't need;
  • the LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Drive has too many connection options (USB 3.0, FireWire/i.LINK 800, eSATA) when I only need a FW (USB could also be included)
  • Buffalo DriveStation Combo (too many connection options like the LaCie)
  • ...and thousands of others not worth listing

I should add that many of the negative reviews indicate incompatibility with Time Machine which, in my case is irrelevant because I don't use TM.

Can someone recommend a brand?

Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4GB DDR3-HP scanner, printer-WF HD

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 10:40 PM

I'm happy with the Mercury Elite-Al Pro unit I got from OWC -

OWC Mercury Elite-AL FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB 2.0 Performance Storage Solutions up to 4.0TB

The one I got is a 1.0TB "Quad Interface" model. It has worked fine with both a late 2010 iMac on FW800 and an old G4/733 DA model running OS 9 on FW400. Haven't tested its USB connection, but then I won't - don't see the point of doing that when FW is available.

I also don't use Time Machine.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2011 10:40 PM in response to Ruben Tomasov

OWC Mercury Elite-AL FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB 2.0 Performance Storage Solutions up to 4.0TB

The one I got is a 1.0TB "Quad Interface" model. It has worked fine with both a late 2010 iMac on FW800 and an old G4/733 DA model running OS 9 on FW400. Haven't tested its USB connection, but then I won't - don't see the point of doing that when FW is available.

Sep 1, 2011 10:49 PM in response to Ruben Tomasov

I have two of the LaCie d2 Quadras (1 TB each) and a Mercury Elite Pro from OWC (same as Don's) - the LaCie's have been fine except one previous one (bad firewire port - replaced promptly); the OWC is too new for me to comment on; I bought it because those drives have been recommended here.

And I do not use Time Machine - I firmly believe in multiple bootable clones....

Sep 2, 2011 7:45 AM in response to Don Archibald

Don Archibald wrote:

Thanks a lot, Don

And it's good to read someone saying he doesn't use TM!

hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.