Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Isight sometimes works sometimes i get the loading symbol in photo booth and a black screen plz help

i have a mid 2010 MBP and i use the isight a lot .... it usualy works but sometimes it just stops working.. in photobooth i get a loading symbol and a black screen.this may be for days or weeks and after that all of a sudden isight works again ...it keeps like this all the time....plz help...

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 9:44 AM

18 replies

Sep 2, 2011 1:48 PM in response to ircmgr

Hi,

Does the camera appear in System Profiler ? (Hardware > USB)

Does moving the hinge make a difference ?

(older versions had a Frayed cable through the hinge after prolonged use)

Later versions can have an issue with the cable going up the back of the screen becoming tight enough to loosen the end from the camer.

Odd thinks like gripping the screen top top steady whilst carryng the computer may effect this. (I would not and I am Not suggesting you pinch the screen as there is no measure of how hard to do this).

If it does not appear in the System Profiler try aSMC/PMU rest

User uploaded file
9:48 PM Friday; September 2, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Sep 4, 2011 3:07 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

even when i get the black screen the camera appears in system profiler and the green light always turns on

i reseted smc/pmu a lot of of times but still nothing it is like it has it's own brain and works whenever it wants to......no don't think that it's a cable issue because macbook is beeing used like a desktop computer and stays in one place most of the time....

Sep 4, 2011 11:37 AM in response to ircmgr

Hi,

Go to your Home Folder/Library/Preferences and Delete the com.apple.ichat.PhotoBooth.plist and then try Photo Booth again. (Just drag the .plists to the Trash)

<User uploaded file
7:37 PM Sunday; September 4, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 6, 2011 12:56 PM in response to ircmgr

Hi,

In the first post you specifically mentioned Photo Booth.

I stuck with that and suggested deleting just the one .plist

Do you get the same symptoms in all the Apps you mentioned you deleted .plists for ?

IF it is across all apps then we need to look somewhere else.

Have you updated Quicktime ?
Do you have any Quicktime Add-ons like Flip4Mac or Perian (possibly others) ?

Which OS version are you using ?

User uploaded file
8:56 PM Tuesday; September 6, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 7, 2011 11:39 AM in response to brilehnhof

Hi,

If you have Leopard, then it too has been at 10.5.8 "for years" and therefore Flip4Mac should be up-to-date enough for your OS version (that is not to say it can't be updated but the version you have may be "good enough")

The version I am running in Leopard is version 2.3.8.1 and is listed in the System Preferences > Flip4mac > Update tab (in very small letters near the bottom) and that is listed as the Current version.

IS the camera showing in the System Profiler ?

User uploaded file
7:39 PM Wednesday; September 7, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 8, 2011 11:34 AM in response to brilehnhof

Hi,

Are these apps just not showing the camera but working in every other way ?

Sometimes if certain Fonts are Disabled or removed some apps cannot launch.

(it would most likely affect many more apps not just ones that can use the camera)

Does Quicktime see the camera ? (you would need Quicktime Pro in Leopard)

If you go to System Preferences > Accounts and Your account can you change the Pic.
If you do can you take a pic with the Camera ?

User uploaded file
7:34 PM Thursday; September 8, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 8, 2011 7:21 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

All of the apps work fine except for the fact that the video never loads. THe green light will come on, but the video never loads, just displays an in process spinning wheel. I tried taking a snapshot in appearance settings like you mentioned. It did the count down and made the clicking sound, but no image was created.

So it appearance that everything is working properly, except that the camera is not producing and images.

Sep 9, 2011 11:39 AM in response to brilehnhof

Hi,

Try a SMC/PMU reset
There are Model Spceific bits at the bottom.

User uploaded file
7:39 PM Friday; September 9, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Isight sometimes works sometimes i get the loading symbol in photo booth and a black screen plz help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.