Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages puts mysterious line feeds in docs

I have a document which is a resume that was once a word doc. I noticed that in certain instances, the document will put the next paragraph to the next page and the only way to have the paragraph on the same page is bring it up line by line. This can happen when I'm not even altering the line feeds between the paragraphs. It does it constantly. I don't see any hidden formats as I've even just hit enter to create line feeds to continue to the next page until it meets the next paragraph and then deleted the line feeds. It basically puts the next parargraph on the next page and I have half the page on the first page with no formatting and no text. Must be some issue with the translation from a word to pages doc.

Anyone can help?

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.1), iWork

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 11:11 AM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2011 11:17 AM in response to oc_mac

Short update. I notice it's when I insert another paragarph in the middle with a different format. Once I hit enter it shoots the next paragraph to the next page like I inserted a page break. But I don't have anything that says to change paragraph format after my new paragraph.

Then if I continue editing the only way to bring the paragraph from the 2nd page back to first is to use the backspace to bring each line with a carriage return up. It will not roll the entire document up. So quite tedious.

Sep 2, 2011 1:36 PM in response to oc_mac

use the backspace to bring each line with a carriage return up.

Are you saying there are a series of returns with no text? If this is the case, then the fault is with Word. It has a bad habit of adding multiple Returns. If you haven't already done so, go to the View menu and choose Show Invisibles. This will show you the Returns that are causing the problem.

Walt

Sep 3, 2011 12:03 AM in response to Walt K

I think it was a problem with how Pages interpreted Word. When I had the big gap, there were not carriage returns of line feeds. So for example on the 1st page I would only have text on half the page and if I hit the down arrow it would jump fro the middle of page 1 to the beginning of page2. So it seemed like there were no line feeds. It was like there was a page break. But there was none. If I went to page 2 and tried to bring up the text back to page 1 by hitting the delete key, it would only bring one paragraph at a time. I would have to go to each paragraph and bring it up since it seemed to set a new page break. Very strange! So I think it was something related to the conversion.

Pages puts mysterious line feeds in docs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.