Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers and symbols in another color in lists

I use a template provided by Apple that has list formats with the numbers and symbold in different colors than the text itself. For the lists with bullets, there is an option for changing the color, however, not for numbered lists. Somabody must have formatted those. I cannot find where it hides. Does anybody know?

Thanks for helping.

Mac Pro 2.8. GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 GB

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 11:13 AM

7 replies

Sep 2, 2011 2:41 PM in response to Yarramalong

Question asked and answered several times.

The dumb machine was able to find the threads and display them in the More Like This box.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 2 septembre 2011 23:40:10

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0

My iDisk is : <http://public.me.com/koenigyvan>

Please :

Search for questions similar to your own

before submitting them to the community

Sep 2, 2011 4:01 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Genius! Where is the solution? "Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community". Why has this question been asked several times before? Why do I need to ask for it?

One of the guys has answered that: "Yes there is indeed a trick -- Option-click on the number to just select that element. (Why this isn't better documented is beyond me.)" If this trick has been discovered in 2007, why does Apple sell Pages in 2011 that requires finding that trick?

I do not fancy searching around for tricks. If you select an item in the list, the number is never selected. If the list has a bullet, there is an option to change its color. If the bullet is a number, you need to search for a click. Any idea, what consistency means?

Sep 3, 2011 3:01 AM in response to Yarramalong

We are all enduser like you here. We are not Apple employees.

If you had when entering the forums taken you time to read about Community Etiquette you would have seen "Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community."

If you want to tell your opinion tell Apple http://www.apple.com/feedback/pages.html

You can get there by clicking on Provide Pages Feedback in your Pages Pages menu too.

Sep 3, 2011 3:27 AM in response to Yarramalong

User asking here are supposed to have a brain and to be able to use it.

Before entering you are supposed to read at least once the terms of use.

What I wrote is an excerpt of these rules.

Apple isn't supposed to explain everything which may be done with the apps.

Trying to do that would resemble to the Sisyphe works.

Every days users discovered features which sometiimes were never designed explicitely by the programmers.

I'm tired to read questions asked by lazy users.

It's why I no longer type explanations when a querstion was already answered.

I may add that in some templates, Apple use features which can't be reproduced by standard users.

If you are bored by that, you are perfectly free to use an other tool.

Be sure that we will no complain about that. I would even wish you good luck.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 3 septembre 2011 12:26:49

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

Sep 3, 2011 1:24 PM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Thank you for qualifying me lazy or brainless or both. You seem to suspect that all people who miss to find questions similar to their own must be one of these. Before asking that question, I tried to find out why I can change the colour of a symbol if it is a bullet, but not if it is a number. It took around one hour because evaluating software and discovering bugs and inconsistencies is part of my profession.

Later, I tried to find a similar question in the forum for about ten minutes. I must have missed it. Instead of a solution to my problem, I received a response I consider harsh and rude. My perception is that you consider me dumber than a machine. Even then, I tried to search your iDisk because you had sent me a link. After some time I found the earlier questions and answers you mean and was extremely annoyed seeing that the issue has been discovered in 2007 and not solved in 2011.

You tell me that Apple cannot explain everything. Thus, people should use their brains. Well, Apple has not to explain everything because they set up a set of 12 rules while developing the MAC before 1984. The most important of them is consistency. And I am one of the people who had standardized such rules long before Apple entered the scene. But Apple did something other IT companies never managed to do or even tried to do: They monitored applications developed for the MacIntosh and managed to ban most of the inconsistent stuff from their stores and authorized dealers. This is why I was surprized to detect such an apparent inconsistency.

"I'm tired to read questions asked by lazy users." This is the story one can hear from almost all people who have worked as hotline assistants. Many times they are right. But most of them would refrain from considering other people brainless or treating them like dumb children.

Sep 3, 2011 2:12 PM in response to Yarramalong

Yarramalong wrote:

Thank you for qualifying me lazy or brainless or both. You seem to suspect that all people who miss to find questions similar to their own must be one of these. Before asking that question, I tried to find out why I can change the colour of a symbol if it is a bullet, but not if it is a number. It took around one hour because evaluating software and discovering bugs and inconsistencies is part of my profession.

Wahoo. I will certainly not ask you to discover bugs or inconsistencies

"I'm tired to read questions asked by lazy users." This is the story one can hear from almost all people who have worked as hotline assistants. Many times they are right. But most of them would refrain from considering other people brainless or treating them like dumb children.

Guys working as hotline assistants are paid to do that.

Kere I try to help for free.

Given that, I feel free to write what I want, when I want.

If you dislike that, it's your problem not yours.

I knew the answer but you didn't.

Using a simple keyString built with your own words was returning the answer.

numbers AND color AND list

User uploaded file

The used keystring is a really basic one and you may check, the returned thread answer your question.

So I feel perfectly free to sign :

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 3 septembre 2011 23:11:04

Please :

Search for questions similar to your own

before submitting them to the community

Jan 25, 2012 7:17 PM in response to Yarramalong

People, please don't abuse the OP. Also, anyone finding this through Google, please mark this answer as Correct not the abuse above. This is ever more important in publishing iBooks for iPad using iBooks Author.

The answer is: Option + Click on the Number then change the formatting

You can also then "Redefine the Style" in the Styles Drawer of the numbered list so this will make everything consistent.

Numbers and symbols in another color in lists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.