Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replying to messages in thread view replies to the first message

I have set Mail so that I see messages in threads together with other related messages (across mailboxes).

However, when I try to reply to a message using ctrl-R, by deafult Mail replies to the oldest message, rather than the newest one.

Any idea why this may happen?

thanks!

MBP 15", Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 11:42 AM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2011 12:30 PM in response to badolin

That is not the way it behaves for me. I just tested it by selecting a "conversation" and hitting command-R, and it replied to the newest message. Are you using the classic layout (like Mail in Snow Leopard) or the new Lion layout?

If you're using the Lion layout, note that clicking anywhere in a message in the conversation will select that message, and then replies go to that message instead. Selection is subtle, but you can tell a message is selected from a blue "glow" around the edges of the message and the number in the upper right corner of the message turns blue.

Replying to messages in thread view replies to the first message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.