Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer startup disk to new drive

Hi,

I'm about to upgrade my boot up disk on my Mac Pro from 250G to 750G. I want the exact same startup volume on the new drive -- what is the best way and/or software to transfer my drive from one to the other (I have 4 bays, so physically it's not an issue). I've been told that SuperDuper! is good software to clone one drive to another.

Does anyone have input on this, or other software they recommend.

Thanks for the help!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 12:00 PM

13 replies

Sep 2, 2011 12:05 PM in response to Robb Manning

People also swear by Carbon Copy Cloner, and I think it's fully Lion compatible now too. It's free and you might need to consult the web pages a little before starting, but it will do the job rock solid, permissions, everything make it across as an EXACT disk copy of your original. So Apps and everything will just work afterward.

http://www.bombich.com/ Home to Mike Bombich's truly useful CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner)

Sep 3, 2011 12:13 PM in response to Robb Manning

Robb Manning wrote:

Thanks all, for your help. I used CCC last night and all seems to have gone well. I'm using the new disk now. Is there a simple way for me to tell if every thing on the 2 drives is the same?

No, because they won't be exact copies if you use the file-level mode because CCC automatically excludes things that aren't necessary for proper operation. As long as it boots and operates like the original, you should be good to go. See excluded files and folders for details.

transfer startup disk to new drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.