Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime won't open mov files

I've just upgraded to Lion and my latest problem is that QuickTime will no longer open my .mov files. Everything was fine in my old world. Apart from upgrading to Lion, there's nothing else that's changed.

Error is:

The document “home-movie.mov” could not be opened. A required codec isn't available.

To see if additional software is available that will enable QuickTime Player to open the movie, click Tell Me More.

I also notice I'm using QuickTime 10.1. I used to have QuickTime Pro - presumably this has disappeared in my upgrade somewhere. It that (a) relevant and (b) a permanent loss? I paid for it - it would be nice to have it back.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 1:31 AM

Look in the Utilities folder for QuickTime Player 7.6.6.

9 replies

Sep 3, 2011 2:45 AM in response to mbahundra

Since the introduction of Snow Leopard (QuickTime X) installs in the Applications folder and QuickTime Player is moved to the Utilities folder.

If a user doesn't have QuickTime Player installed and they open a file in QuickTime X that it can't play (but may work in 7.6.6) they get a dialog window alert and the option to download Player 7.6.6.

QuickTime won't open mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.