Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I type "š" with english keyboard layout?

I was wondering if somewho can tell me, how I can type "š" with englis keyboard layout, because when I have restart iMac, layout was changed back to english (from Slovak) and now I cant start Mac OS X, cause in my login is "š"

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G3

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 3:51 PM

17 replies

Sep 2, 2011 4:15 PM in response to polino

How were you able to type that character in the first instance of setting up your Mac? Is your keyboard set for US English? You could go to System Preferences > International > and choose the appropriate keyboard for login. Have English listed as an alternate input keyboard but have the Slavic dragged to the top of the list. You will need to restart to set that as a preference so that when you log in you will be able to type the required character.

User uploaded file

Sep 2, 2011 4:31 PM in response to polino

Start with the Apple menu in the upper left of the Menu Bar and select System Preferences. On the System Preferences pane on the top row is the UN flag icon. For Tiger (OS-X 10.4) it was called "International". Click to take you to the Language Options:

User uploaded file

The sub-menu called "Input Sources" (as you can see from the above screen shot) will take you to the panel that I referred to in the previous response. If you don't find your language listed then click on the "Edit List at the bottom left of the "Language" sub-menu. Once you make a change in either one of these places you will be given a notice to tell you that the change will be reflected the next time you restart your Mac or the next time that you log in to your account. If you are the only user and do not have another account on your Mac then the restart option will be your method. There is no need to do this procedure from the install DVD.

Sep 2, 2011 4:36 PM in response to polino

Hello,

Open the International Pref Pane and besides KB Viewer, look near the bottom for US & US Extended, (these 2 might be different for your language), both need to be checked?

Down there Unicode Hex Input can be useful also, If so you can hold Option and type the Hex Unicode for it...

Option+f8ff = 

Option+0161 = š

How can I type "š" with english keyboard layout?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.