Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion on a Early 2006 iMac?

Like many here, I have a 2006 iMac that I would like to install Lion on. I know that this iMac falls into the "incompatible with Lion" list of hardware as it came from the factory, BUT, I have installed a Core2 Duo processor into it. Lion Installer says that it is icompatible with this hardware. The installer may just look at the model number, and not the system itself.

Has anyone gotten Lion to install on such a configuration?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 6:54 PM

8 replies

Sep 3, 2011 10:13 AM in response to RoyalFlushAK(s)

I guess I have to clarify- it is an Early 2006 iMac. It came with the Core Duo processor. I have since installed the Core2 Duo processor, and things in Snow Leopard run swimmingly at 64-bit. However, the install for Lion says that it is incompatible. The only hardware limitation I see (or difference between the Early 2006 and Late 2006) is the original Core Duo processor, which has already been replaced. I think the installer must look at the model number, see that it is incompatible (as original), and gives the warning.

Does anyone have a hint at installing Lion with this model?

As far as I am concerned, Lion is just a next step. And, one that keeps my system up to date with Apple.

Sep 3, 2011 11:09 PM in response to Apple_TV_fan

I remember another thread where someone had installed a Core 2 Duo and was then unable to install Lion - I believe the app store (or its background service 'storeagent') is reading your machine identifier or some other hardware info which will identify the machine as a Core Duo. The other person was unable to install Lion, so I don't think you'll be able to.

Sep 14, 2011 12:03 PM in response to Apple_TV_fan

I also have a 20" imac upgraded to a 2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo; it was originally a 2.0GHZ Core Duo. The Lion installer is telling me my machine isn't compatible. It's obviously a 64bit processor since the activity viewer shows processes running in 64bit. I think the installer must be looking at the hardware model # rather than the processor type.

Lion on a Early 2006 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.