Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air battery life/standby time destroyed by Lion!

My girlfriend's 2010 MBA used to be able to be in standby mode forever (for weeks, if not the advertised month) and still maintain a charge with Snow Leopard. After upgrading to Lion, the battery drains overnight.

Anyone else have this issue?

And does anyone know how to solve it? I tried resetting the SMC which seems to have helped battery life slightly when the computer is in use but had no effect on standby time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 3:12 AM

35 replies

Sep 16, 2011 8:54 PM in response to Mikkel D

Yup, I have a substantial reduction in the battery life of my 2010 MBA after installing Lion.

Love many features in Lion but there are three killer problems:

1. Battery life is lower by 2 hours or so. Don't know what to do.

2. Safari memory usage kept increasing, using up to 1.5 GB of memory. Finally stopped using Safari and moved to Chrome 14.0.835.162 beta.

3. System runs hotter.

Overall teh system seems less stable and more prone to hiccups than SL ever was.

Yes, indexing finished a long time ago. No, I don't use Citrix. And yes, I do check Activity Monitor and do not see any rogue processes.

I have filed bug reports with Apple.

Any news or updates from the user community?

Sep 20, 2011 2:46 PM in response to Mikkel D

Same issue on my 2011 11" Air. Cat knocked out magsafe while I was alseep, got home from work, battery at 0%. So in about 18 or so hours of sleep time: 100%-0%. I had noticed this before. Instead of "close and go" with the air, I've been working around it by manually shutting it down. It's a shame though since the reason I got it was for quick and easy portability.

Oct 2, 2011 1:10 PM in response to Mikkel D

My wife's MBA (Late-2010 11" 2GB) had its standby and operating times destroyed by Lion. Prior to the Lion upgrade, useful operating time were 5+ hours and standby forever it seemed. After the Lion upgrade, immediately useful battery life was 2 hours and standby barely lasted overnight. I ran Coconut batttery to discover that, at idle with no applications running in the foreground, the machine was drawing 16.7 watts. The case was also uncomfortably warm when operating on battery. On charge, it showed 434 watts (shocking don't know if this is normal for Snow Leopard though). My MBP (mid-2010 13" 8GB Snow Leopard 10.6.8) only consumes 9 watts at idle on battery by comparison (and it doesn't have SSD and other power saving features available on the MBA).

So, I downgraded to Snow Leopard by reinstalling the machine from scratch. Power consumption in coconut battery shows 5 watts at idle with no applications. When I wake the machine from standby, coconut battery shows 0.1 watt consumption. So, I believe this may have solved the battery longevity problems. Since I only downgraded today, I have to test for some time before I can declare the problem fixed.

Oct 2, 2011 1:58 PM in response to amknapp

I have since discovered through some testing of my own that if I explicitly put it to sleep (Apple->Sleep), then it will last well in standby (lost 2% overnight vs previous 100%). It does not seem that lid closing or letting the computer sit will get it fully to sleep for me for some reason. I have chrome, apple mail, and itunes open generally. Are any of these known to keep Lion from being able to sleep?

Oct 26, 2011 4:14 PM in response to Mikkel D

😠 SO ANNOYED THAT ONE SEEMS TO HAVE THE ANSWER. THERE ARE TECH WIZARDS ON HERE I KNOW THEY'RE ON HERE. SEEN THEM ANSWER OTHER POST. BASICALLY ANSWER YES OR NO DO WE NEED TO SHUT DOWN THE LAPTOP PHYSICALLY TO AVOID BATTERY DRAINAGE. BECAUSE JUST CLOSING THE LID(IE "SLEEP MODE") DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK.

Mikkel D wrote:

My girlfriend's 2010 MBA used to be able to be in standby mode forever (for weeks, if not the advertised month) and still maintain a charge with Snow Leopard. After upgrading to Lion, the battery drains overnight.

Anyone else have this issue?

And does anyone know how to solve it? I tried resetting the SMC which seems to have helped battery life slightly when the computer is in use but had no effect on standby time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nov 4, 2011 6:08 PM in response to Mikkel D

My mid 2011 MBA is acting strange too:

If I leave the lid open it does not sleep properly no matter what settings I set in the power options. It turns of the screen when it should but battery drains in 5-6 hours regardless. If I close the lid it drains slower but it still drains the battery in a few days. And in fact my old windows laptop have longer sleep time 😟

I have to remember to close the lid, and I still have to charge every night. Very uncool.

MacBook Air battery life/standby time destroyed by Lion!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.