Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro not transferring files from my old Macbook's g-drive that used Snow Leopard...I need help!!

I just bought a macbook pro yesterday (13 inch) from the Apple Store due to my old 2007 macbook (the 13 inch white one) running slow because of the applications I used. I transferred the old files, and backed all of them up on the 500gb G-Drive external hard drive using time share. I gave the computer to a friend of a friend and no longer have it. When I first turned the new computer on, it gave me the option to restore using a back up disk, like my g drive from timeshare. I chose that and it said it had worked fine. But when I got to the home screen, I couldn't find any of my files. The old computer didn't have lion, it was operating on Snow Leopard. I am trying to figure out how to get my files to show up on my new computer. When I click on my g-drive on my desktop, I see my backups, but all of the folders have the red circle with the negative sign in the middle. I was told to go to disk utility, click on the g-drive and click repair disk, so I did. Still, no progress. I tried using migration assistant and my g-drive wasn't showing, the only icon it showed was the Macintosh HD with the timeshare symbol laying on top of it, I tried doing it that way, again, didn't work. I know how to use a mac, but as far as the technical side, I am truly a beginner. I don't know what to do. I talked to 3 different people from Apple Pro Care over the phone yesterday and they were just as confused as I was. One of them told me that Lion doesn't have Rosetta Stone, so Snow Leopard files cannot transfer into Lion...is this true? I looked up my permissions on my old macbook settings and it said "No" on allowing permissions. If I was told to change it to yes, I would have done that before I gave the computer away. I was on the new computer for over 6 hours yesterday trying to recover my files, still nothing. Can anyone please help?!?! I am really frustrated and lost, any assistance would be greatly appreciated...THANK YOU in advance!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 4:32 AM

1 reply

Macbook Pro not transferring files from my old Macbook's g-drive that used Snow Leopard...I need help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.