Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add 'create new textedit document' to right click menu?

Can I create a context menu item that allows me to create a textedit document (or another application, like Word) by simply right clicking? It's a very useful function available on PCs that let you quickly create a text document within a folder.

Cheers! 😉

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 4:20 AM

9 replies

Sep 4, 2011 1:36 AM in response to Bernard Hills

Thanks for the input. I'm quite computer savvy, but I know nothing about how to use a scriptable service.

I'm always creating folders that are nested way down, or on some external drive, and where I need a text document for later reference. I do have textedit in the dock, but when I save the doc I then have to navigate my there each time. Being a recent convert to Mac, I'm used to being able to bypass this with a mouse click on a PC, so it's irritating that it's not there.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose. 😉

Sep 4, 2011 9:07 AM in response to Karel Bata

One thing that may make your life easier: if you have already navigated somewhere in the Finder, you don't have to repeat the navigation with the application's save dialog box, just drag the folder you want to be "in" from the Finder window's toolbar into the Save dialog box:

User uploaded file

In the example I've already dragged the proxy icon for the folder on another drive and dropped it in the Save navigation pane.

Francine

Add 'create new textedit document' to right click menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.