Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a simple fade in/fade out transition?

In Final Cut X, I don't see a simple fade in or fade out transition. Am I missing it? I've recreated it using Fade to Color (black) then adjusting the audio. But seems more complicated than it needs to be.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 10:06 AM

11 replies

Sep 3, 2011 11:21 AM in response to BMcCarroll

Innocentius is correct. The Fade to Color is located in the transitions browser under the dissolves. It will fade to black. There is one place that you have to use something different, however. If you have connected clips on top of your storyline clips, you probably do not want to use the Fade to Color since it will not simply fade to your clip video on the storyline, but will fade to black. If you want to fade a connected clip above your storyline into the storyline video, you should use the Cross Dissolve instead. Note that to do so you must first make that connected clip into a storyline using the Clip/Create Storyline menu option. Then you can apply transitions to it. Best wishes.

stephen

Sep 3, 2011 12:05 PM in response to BMcCarroll

If your transition affects the audio, you can select the clip where the audio resides and Control Click and choose Break Apart Clip Items. Now the transitions will not effect your audio, but beware that you are now free to accidentally move your audio and get it out of sync with its video. On just the video side, you might want to insert a Gap clip after the Fade to Color (outbound), and before any Fade to (from) Color (inbound). This will look less like a dissolve and more like what it is supposed to do. The Fade to Color does work nicely for me.

stephen

Sep 20, 2011 11:27 AM in response to BMcCarroll

A very simple way (with full control) is:

Select the clip in the storyline, press Ctrl+V to open up a Video Animation box above the clip.

Click the dark rectangle to the right of the Opacity bar to enlarge it.

Near the top of the box is a thin black opacity control line.

Click the right end of the line, and drag to the left to create a fade-out.

(Click the left end and drag to the right to fade-in).

User uploaded file

Andy

Is there a simple fade in/fade out transition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.