Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dashboard widget issues

Recently, I've been having problems with two of the widgets on my dashboard.

My Word of the Day widget has completely lost its background color and displays as transparent no matter what settings I choose. I am also having some trouble selecting it to drag it around and change its location.

I am also using K-notes, and it just recently has begun to randomly delete information I had entered on my notes, which then seems to be impossible to retrieve. It doesn't wipe out every note at once, even notes that I made in close succession to each other, but just seems to pick and choose at random.

I have already tried to remove and re-add these widgets to my dashboard but am having the same issues. I have also been using these particular widgets for a very long time without any problems until now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 2:29 PM

11 replies

Dec 20, 2011 12:52 AM in response to khelekore

Curiously, I just have had the exact same problem with k-notes, which like for you had been working fine for years : out of 6 notes, I lost the contents of all but 2. I am running on 10.5.8 on a G4.

What I did to correct the problem :

- reboot

- do ++NOT++ open dashboard

- open folder "<your_home>/Library/Preferences"

- locate "widget-com.rakoth.lichlord.widget.k-notes.plist"

- use Time Machine to get some anterior correct version (you can check that the notes within are correct using Pref Setter, ++NOT++ k-notes)

- replace the version in "<your_home>/Library/Preferences" with the Time Machine restored version

- open dashboard : the k-notes should reappear (in their anterior version)

This does not guarantee in any way that the problem will not reappear.

Made me glad I did activate Time Machine, which unfortunately sometimes slows my G4 way too much...

Jan 25, 2012 5:44 AM in response to khelekore

having a very similar issue with the k-notes widget. been using it succesfully and completely problem free for years, and suddenly today all of the k-notes notes i have open in dashboard are blank except for one. i can't find the widget itself in the normal Library>Widgets folder, nor can i find any preferences that begin with "widget" whatsoever.

i am running Lion 10.7.2 and the only thing that i can think of that has changed, has been that i updated to the latest version of iTunes today.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

-dan

Jan 25, 2012 7:00 AM in response to khelekore

To locate "widget-com.rakoth.lichlord.widget.k-notes.plist" using Spotlight, you need to add a search criteria with "System Files"+"Included", otherwise it is invisible.

The same problem I had in December, identical to yours, occured once more; I solved it the same way, using Time Machine as explained above.

But it becomes annoying, except that I have not found a good replacement for k-notes.

No idea about what triggers it, although I suspected in my case a too long note, without any proof.

Dashboard widget issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.