Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I install Windows 7 as 32-bit or 64-bit?

I just purchased a mid 2011 MacBook Air. (11" 1.6GHz Core i5, 4 GB RAM, Lion 10.7.1.)

My ultimate goal is to run PowerPoint and an TurningPoint audience response system that plugs into PowerPoint. TurningPoint says it runs as either 32-bit or 64-bit. That's the only Windows program I will likely use. Otherwise I'm a Mac guy.

My installation disks for both Windows 7 and Office 2010 both included 32-bit or 64-bit.

So is there any reason for installing Windows 7 and Office 2010 as 32-bit or 64-bit?

I plan to use Boot Camp 4.0.1 and have limited tech skills "under the hood."

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2011 8:16 PM

Since the Windows programs you use are 64-bit compatible I would install Windows 7 64-bit.

Plus it allows you to use the full 4GB RAM of your MBA.

With 32-bit Windows you would be stuck somewhere around 2.5 to 3GB of useable RAM.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Frequently asked questions about Lion and Boot Camp 4.0

Boot Camp - Installation & Setup Guide (OS X Lion)

Stefan

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2011 8:16 PM in response to edteck

Since the Windows programs you use are 64-bit compatible I would install Windows 7 64-bit.

Plus it allows you to use the full 4GB RAM of your MBA.

With 32-bit Windows you would be stuck somewhere around 2.5 to 3GB of useable RAM.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Frequently asked questions about Lion and Boot Camp 4.0

Boot Camp - Installation & Setup Guide (OS X Lion)

Stefan

Sep 4, 2011 11:51 AM in response to edteck

I'll take you up on your kind offer, Stefan.

I've been reading the Apple info on the install before I get started. I checked out the Boot Camp 4.0.1 interface and see that will be asked to select the tasks. Here's a few questions:

User uploaded file

1. It defaults to "checked" on all 3 tasks - should I do the same?

2. My MBA did not ship with any Lion install discs - can I complete the project without one? Does the second task take care of that?

3. What's a "WIndows 7 ISO image"? How do I get one? - or is it created in the Boot Camp process?

Danke,

Peter

Sep 4, 2011 8:17 PM in response to edteck

Sure thing... 😉

1. Since you have a Windows Install DVD, uncheck the first one (Create a Windows 7 Install Disk).

2. You have to use the second option (Download the latest Windows support software) to get the needed BootCamp WIndows Driver. Use an USB-Memory-Stick/-Flash-Drive for it.

3. Windows 7 can be downloaded from Microsoft as an .iso file and/or if you are in college/highschool then some offer this.

With the first option you can make a Windows Install DVD out of such an . iso file.

Since you alreaday have one, uncheck it.

Stefan

Sep 9, 2011 8:22 PM in response to edteck

Hi Stefan,

I'm back with a related problem. I did the orginal installation of Windows 7 using Boot Camp on a MacBook Air with 128GB HD. I devoted 20GB to Windows. That seemed to be the default.

I've already maxed out the Windows / Boot Camp drive. Run out of space!!

1. Is there a way to readjuct the partition so the I can give the Windows side more space?

2. Or is it easier to uninstall the whole windows package and do the whole Boot camp process over again creating a larger Windows partition? (I don't have any valuable documents in Windows yet) If I should uninstall Windows / Boot Camp partition - how do I do that?

Thanks,

Peter

Sep 9, 2011 8:33 PM in response to edteck

Doing your little Terminater impersonation (I'll be back) ? 😉

20GB for Windows 7 is far too small, think more in the line of 50GB !

1. Paragons CampTune is as of now the best solution for resizing http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

2. CampTune is easier than redoing it all again, but also costs.

Redoing the Windows 7 would be using the BootCamp Assistant again and reverting the partitioning back to one single OSX volume which completely deletes the BootCamp Windows 7 partition.

After that plus a reboot of your MBA you can use the BootCamp Assistant again to partition with the new bigger size.

Keep always in mind that you should have at least 15% of the diskspace as free space in OSX or otherwise you might encounter slowness in OSX.

Stefan

Sep 9, 2011 8:46 PM in response to edteck

Your Terminator made me laugh!!

And thanks for the quick reply. The Camp Tune looks like a good option. But I may just use Boot Camp Assistant to eliminate the partition and do this all over again. (Especially now that I know how to use Boot Camp. )

I'll try 50 GB - just need to run PowerPoint in Office and TurningPoint audience response system that plugs into it.

Thanks again - I hope I can answer a question for you some day!

Should I install Windows 7 as 32-bit or 64-bit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.