Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes repeatedly crashes and I have no idea why!

I'm using the latest build of iTunes (at the time of writing that's 10.1.4.10) and Windows 7 which is fully up to date. I have no problems with anything on my system except iTunes. Since the last update of iTunes it crashes a LOT. I'll list some examples of what causes it to crash:

- Plugging my iPhone 4 in

- Syncing my iPhone

- Downloading something from the store

- Loading iTunes

- Closing iTunes

It will throw up the famous 'unable to contact sync services' error when I plug my iPhone in, but I can correct that by deleting everything in here - AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\SyncServices\Local . This is only a temporary fix though as the error will return in a few days. Even without that error, iTunes will still crash on syncing about 90% of the time.

The crashes are so bad now I've moved virtually everything to my iPhone - downloading apps, music downloading (I use Spotify), podcast downloading (I use iCatcher), audiobook downloading (Audible) etc. But I still have to sync to copy TV episodes accross unfortunately, and of course to allow it to back-up.

I've re-installed iTunes countless times of course but it doesn't fix the problems.

I'd rather not re-install Windows if possible by iTunes is basically unusable for me now and everything else works fine on my PC.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 12:23 AM

2 replies

Sep 4, 2011 1:21 AM in response to Phil Baxter

I'm having the same problem.

I'm running the latest Windows 7 and itunes and apple software. Whenever I try to sync with iTunes, it gets up to Step 3 of 4 and itunes crashes/freezes and then I have to shut it down.

I have then tried to find my apps and a lot of them seem to have disappeared. When go to download them they say they are installed. When I search for them they appear.

The message says that Windows is searching for a solution but nothing has appeared.

I've tried removing and reloading iTunes. I've tried creating a new account and transferring purchases, syncing and starting again. I get to the last step and iTunes crash.

Please help

Thanks

iTunes repeatedly crashes and I have no idea why!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.