Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless keyboard crashes Snow Leopard.

I just updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard (10.6.8), and now my wireless mouse/keyboard crashes the computer as soon as I plug in the USB transmitter. The moment I plug in, an OS message appears telling me I must hold down the power button and then turn back on the machine. If I start up the computer with the USB plugged in, this same message appears during the boot up process.

I'm using a 2008 15" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and a GE (SKU 98614) keyboard/mouse combo that was bought a month ago and is supposed to be compatible. Any ideas?

Many thanks... jeremy

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 7:07 AM

3 replies

Sep 6, 2011 3:52 PM in response to circles all the way down...

I called their Tech Support Line (Jasco Products, a GE company), and here is what they said:

A recent OS X update broke their drivers.

The current workaround is to manually remove the drivers from your computer

They are working to get this fixed in the near future.

Step-by-Step instructions to remove the files:

1) With the computer turned-off, ensure the USB nano-receiver is removed/unplugged

2) Power-on the computer

3) After the computer re-boots and you’re logged-in to the operating system, click on the ‘Finder’ icon on your dock.

4) Within the Finder window, there the left margin listing different things, including, ‘Devices’ and ‘Shared’. Under ‘Devices’, click on your main hard drive

5) On the right side of the Finder window, you’ll now see a list of folders. Find and double-click the folder titled, ‘System’. A new list of folders will appear.

6) Find and double-click the folder titled, ‘Library’. A new list of files will appear.

7) Find and double-click the folder titled, ‘Extensions’. A new list of files will appear.

8) Drag the two following files into the Trash Bin:

‘98614wirelessmediakeyboarddriver.kext’

‘wirelessmediakeyboarddriver.kext’

9) Empty the trash bin

You can plug the USB adapter/nano-receiver back into the computer.

NOTE: On my system I only had the first file, but not the 2nd and the trick still worked for me (no restart needed).

Wireless keyboard crashes Snow Leopard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.