Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Remove Advanced Pulldown?

Some camcorders, such as the Panasonic AG-DVX100A (which is what I have), are designed to shoot in progressive mode at 24 fps (literally 23.98 fps) and then record the video to tape as a 60-field interlaced signal by applying a special kind of pull-down called advanced 2:3:3:2 pull-down. With previous versions of Final Cut, you could remove the redundant fields created by the camera’s pull-down, so that you can edit at 23.98 fps or 24 fps.

This was done previously by the following:

1. In Final Cut Pro, select the clips or sequence.
  2. Choose Tools > Remove Advanced Pulldown.

How do I do this in Final Cut Pro X?

These menus do not exist and when I drop a previously existing clip into a new project there are duplicate frames (whether I choose to create the project properties based on the properties of the first clip imported or I specify manually I want it to be a 23.98p timeline), meaning that FCPX has not removed the pulldown automatically.

When I import a clip from tape/source then FCPX handles it correctly.

But there needs to be an option to fix this in already existing clips that have been imported prior to the existence of FCPX without re-importing all the footage.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 8:09 AM

3 replies

Sep 5, 2011 1:07 PM in response to LDPMovies

well, in case anyone else who uses a dvx100 has this problem with previously imported 16x9 24pA .AVI files that you want to use in FCPX here is what i had to do. use compressor. convert each of the AVIs using these settings:

Name: FC

Description: DVX 24pA AVIs to MOV in FCPX 23.98P timeline

File Extension: mov

Estimated size: 11.05 GB/hour of source

Audio Encoder

16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz

Video Encoder

Width: 720

Height: 480

Pixel aspect ratio: NTSC CCIR 601/DV (16:9)

Crop: None

Padding: None

Frame rate: 23.976

Frame Controls On:

Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame

Resize Filter: Linear Filter

Deinterlace Filter: Reverse Telecine

Adaptive Details: Off

Antialias: 0

Detail Level: 0

Field Output: Progressive

Codec Type: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC

Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off

Scan Mode: Interlaced
Aspect Ratio: 16:9

Pixel depth: 24

Spatial quality: 100

Min. Spatial quality: 0

Temporal quality: 0

Min. temporal quality: 0

Compatible with Mac

Mar 31, 2012 8:50 AM in response to LDPMovies

LDP,

Thanks for the detailed post. So, when you capture a tape today into FCPX, the correct pulldown is removed. But when past QuickTimes are imported into your project, you can't remove pulldown. Is that correct?

I will be going through these steps today during post on a documentary (FCP7 and FCPX). And I'll try to let you know what i find.

-Andrew

How to Remove Advanced Pulldown?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.