Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime on my two Macs won't connect

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. On both of them I have installed FaceTime for Mac and configured them the same way with my two E-Mail addresses to respond to. When somebody calls me both Macs ring (as they are supposed to). Now when I try to accept the call on my MacBook the call always fails. Only when I send my other Mac to sleep the call connects without any problem.

This is not only the case on my two Macs but also at my father's, who has a MacBook Pro and an iPhone4. It seems, that when both devices are active they both ring but you can't accept a call because the connection always fails. So the workaround is to have only one device on, which means that I have to make a regular phone call first, announcing my FaceTime call.

I guess that is not how it is supposed to work. As I understand it, FaceTime calls should ring on all active devices and then be routed to the one that picks up first. Anybody with the same problem? Or even better with a solution to it? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 11:43 AM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2011 7:01 PM in response to xordinary

I have the same proble, (both my father and I do). I have an iMac, Iphone 4 and an iPad. My father has an iPad and a Macbook Pro. We both have Lion (but had this problem on Snow Leopard as well). When it rings to both devices, it only lets us pick up on our iPads and not on our computers, and often we have trouble connecting when calling someone else from our computer. On our end it will continue ringing, while on the other person's end it will say connecting but evetually fail. This is very annoying! I hope there is a fix for it soon.

Sep 10, 2011 7:17 PM in response to xordinary

My father and I have found a fix to this!

If you go into your firewall settings:

Apple Icon > System Preferences > Security & Privacy and then Click on 'Firewall', you can fix this. Even though we both had our Firewalls turned in the 'Off' position, when we turned them 'On' and then in the Advanced settings added Facetime to 'Allow Incoming Connections' our Facetime is working seamlessly.

It rings to both of our devices and we can accept on either one (iMac, iPad or Macbook Pro). We are both currently running Lion.

Hope this helps!

FaceTime on my two Macs won't connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.