Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Terminal to upload a file to Charter webpage

I am trying to upload a file to my Charter webpage directory. I have successfully logged in but cannot figure out how to transfer or upload the file. See code lines from terminal below. Once I get to the ftp> command at the end what should I try? I have tried with the "put" and without and also have put a space between put and the /. the file is on my desktop and I am dragging it into the terminal window.

Thanks

reid-mccallisters-imac:~ Reid$ ftp xxxxx@webpages.charter.net

Connected to webpages.charter.net.

220 FTP Server ready

331 Password required for xxxxx

Password:

230 User artinfo logged in

Remote system type is UNIX.

Using binary mode to transfer files.

ftp> put/Users/Reid/Desktop/dali_gala_lincoln.jpg

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 6:39 AM

ftp> pwd

ftp> cd /to/the/destination/directory

ftp> binary

ftp> put /Users/Reid/Desktop/dali_gala_lincoln.jpg

ftp> exit

The 'pwd' command will tell you what ftp thinks the remote directory location is. Use the 'cd' command if that is not where you want to store the file.

The 'binary' commands tells ftp to NOT try and convert text file line endings from <LF> to <CR><LF> or to <CR> or any number of other remote operating system line ending rules. 'binary' says just copy the file as is.

There is a space between 'put' and the file you want to transfer.

You might be better off trying to use something like CyberDuck, a GUI ftp utility, or any number of other GUI ftp utilities you can find over at <http://MacUpdate.com>

As an alternative, if your ISP supports ssh, scp, and sftp, if you want to stay with the command line, you would be better off using scp as it is a more straight forward copy syntax, plus ssh, scp, and sftp are all secure file transfers, where as ftp is totally insecure, including the transfer of your password in clear text when you log in.

Try CyberDuck

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2011 6:39 AM in response to ReidMac

ftp> pwd

ftp> cd /to/the/destination/directory

ftp> binary

ftp> put /Users/Reid/Desktop/dali_gala_lincoln.jpg

ftp> exit

The 'pwd' command will tell you what ftp thinks the remote directory location is. Use the 'cd' command if that is not where you want to store the file.

The 'binary' commands tells ftp to NOT try and convert text file line endings from <LF> to <CR><LF> or to <CR> or any number of other remote operating system line ending rules. 'binary' says just copy the file as is.

There is a space between 'put' and the file you want to transfer.

You might be better off trying to use something like CyberDuck, a GUI ftp utility, or any number of other GUI ftp utilities you can find over at <http://MacUpdate.com>

As an alternative, if your ISP supports ssh, scp, and sftp, if you want to stay with the command line, you would be better off using scp as it is a more straight forward copy syntax, plus ssh, scp, and sftp are all secure file transfers, where as ftp is totally insecure, including the transfer of your password in clear text when you log in.

Try CyberDuck

Sep 7, 2011 9:10 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob,

Thanks. My idea for using Terminal for ftp came from Charter online tech support which illustrated how to get to the "ftp>" stage but left out the commands to finish the job. Since I don't have the time to learn the UNIX commands for terminal I downloaded the 15 day version of Fetch to do the job--which it did--and I will pay the money to register. Looked at Cyberdog online but saw comments about it being a little finicky for larger downloads and decided I would go with the classic Fetch which I had used before.

Thanks again for the reply

Aug 28, 2012 8:57 AM in response to BobHarris

I have this same issue when attempting ftp with Charter, in particular, when upload to the file dir that I have created. I get a message that states there is no such directory, such is as follows:

230 User jndbrewer logged in

Remote system type is UNIX.

Using binary mode to transfer files.

ftp> cd Resumes

250 CWD command successful

ftp> put /Users/donnabrewer/Desktop/Donna_Resume_ftp.pdf

local: /Users/donnabrewer/Desktop/Donna_Resume_ftp.pdf remote: /Users/donnabrewer/Desktop/Donna_Resume_ftp.pdf

229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||42739|)

ftp: Can't connect to `209.225.8.65': Operation timed out

500 Illegal PORT command

550 /Users/donnabrewer/Desktop/Donna_Resume_ftp.pdf: No such file or directory

ftp> pwd

transfers are binary with charter, dialog states when logging in via terminal

help? thanks!

Donna Brewer

Aug 28, 2012 2:26 PM in response to ReidMac

ReidMac wrote:

. Since I don't have the time to learn the UNIX commands for terminal I downloaded the 15 day version of Fetch to do the job--which it did--and I will pay the money to register. Looked at Cyberdog online but saw comments about it being a little finicky for larger downloads and decided I would go with the classic Fetch which I had used before.

You can not go wrong with Fetch. Good choice.

Using Terminal to upload a file to Charter webpage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.