Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SA550 with mac pro = blurry text

Last week I replaced on my 6 month-old mac pro with basicATI radeon 5770 HD videocard the monitor with a new 27" samsungSA550. No matter what I do, the text looks very blurry. I spoke with Samsung, and I was told that the problem is with apple videocard, which is unable to drive the monitor. Apple told me that if the monitor is recognized correctly -which it is- and the OS gives me the whole range of screen resolutions -which it does-, I should be able to pick any resolution I want because the card is powerful enough. That being said, at the highest resolution (1920x1080), the screen has two black stripes on both sides and the image is stretched vertically, so i use it at it next one, which is 1680x1050. On this monitor you can only move the image up/down left/right but you cannot stretch it. The manual states that unless you use the monitor at its optimal resolution (1920x1080) you should not expect a perfect image/text. I like the monitor and i would like to keep it but if i cannot use it at its native resolution, it would not make much sense. Is there anything i could do/change to correct this? I tried both the VGA and the mini DVI ports and it made no difference. Any suggestion is highly appreciated. I would get an apple monitor but i read really bad reviews about it.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), samsung monitor, blurry text

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 7:32 PM

11 replies

Sep 4, 2011 8:32 PM in response to T_odd

How do you physically have the TV connected to the 5770? Mini-displayport to HDMI? DVI to HDMI? How long a HDMI cable?

Update after rereading: I guess you are using a mini-displayport to HDMI adaptor. But still, how long a cable?

Since the monitors max resolution is 1920x1080 that is what you should be using. Look at the monitor's manual to see if it has it's own OSD (on screen display) or additional manual controls for zooming, aspect ratio, overscan/underscan, etc. It's hard to believe it only has physical positioning controls.

Update a little later:

I download what I think is the manual from this page (English, May 17,2011). If this is the proper manual look at page 3-16 and see if that helps.

Sep 5, 2011 4:22 PM in response to X423424X

Hi X42,

Thank you for taking the time to look into my problem.; I did read the manual but that didnt help a whole lot. Zooming-wise: it has an "auto" function and a "wide" that does nothing to change the image. HDMI cable: a standard 6 foot cable from best buy. The cable goes into a mini display to hdmi.

There is a review by someone named "zed" at;

http://www.lcdmonitorstores.com/products-519-samsung-s27a550h-27-inch-class-led- monitor-black-reviews.html

that apparently had the same problem with the text -different system-. He fixed it by switching to a resolution (1776x1000) that i cannot even find it in my system preferences or in samsung's user manual. I have no ideea what he is talking about.

Now the bad news: I have a small 12'' asus (UL20FT) laptop that i connected to my samsung using the vga cable. After installing the driver the monitor worked at 1920x1080 "magically" well. And the little one doesnt even have a decent videocard. I am pretty confident that is not the monitor. Would "lion" help? I run now 10.6.8.

Sep 5, 2011 6:29 PM in response to T_odd

Well in the case of the asus you had installed a driver, presumably specifically designed for that monitor. Apple's drivers I believe are more generic (and I have read leave something to be desired). So I am not sure the comparison is valid. And I suspect things won't be any better with Lion.

That manual I linked to wasn't any help on page 3-16? Oh well.

Aug 16, 2012 10:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry for the delayed response. I used the bigger port on the Mac Pro. I don't know all the terminology so assumed the screen connecter is the HDMI. There is only one cable running out of the screen and it has the 'old type' connectors with three rows of pins (usually blue), same as the older computers and typically used on projectors. Is that a VGA connector?

Samsung SA550 with mac pro = blurry text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.