Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

want to increase internal hard drive space

I have a Macbook Pro (purchased in late 2008) running on Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8). The hard drive space is 250 GB (although it's really somewhere around 230 GB). I just reformatted the hard drive and chose to erase all of my old files (after backing them up on an external hard drive) and reinstall the OS. I would like to eventually upgrade to OS X Lion, but I want to increase the internal hard drive space on my laptop first. I set up an appointment with the Genius Bar for Wednesday morning, but from what I understand (after doing some searching), they may not necessarily be able to help me. I'm a little lost when it comes to the more technical terms and I don't know where to begin my search in finding an internal hard drive online. Does anyone have any recommendations for a certain brand? I would like to upgrade to 500 GB.

Macbook Pro 15.4", Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 10:11 PM

6 replies

Sep 4, 2011 10:52 PM in response to ofmontreal

I Dont Think You Should Upgrade To lion Yet Because It Is Buggy Right nNnow Alot Of People Are Trying To Get Back On Lepord.If You Know How To Replace Ann Hard Drive I Suggest That You Go For A 7200rpm Hard Drive

WD Blue Scorpio Is An 5200rpm

And It Is Easy To Install With The Correct Tools apple and best buy will charge you to much just for an install
Here A Vid How To Do It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJx0QPCVXR0

Sep 4, 2011 11:04 PM in response to RayxRayz

Yes, after reading some of the discussion topics here on the new OS, I'm starting to have some second thoughts... but I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard first anyway. I will probably need some assistance in installing the hard drive. Can the people at the Genius Bar help me?

I was also looking at the Seagate Momentus 500GB Internal Drive (which is the 7200 RPM hard drive that I'm guessing you're referring to) but I don't really need the super fast/high performance. I don't really play any games or use any memory intensive programs (e.g. photo/video editing software). I mainly use my laptop for casual use (music, uploading and sharing photos, web browsing, instant messaging, etc). I'm more concerned with hard drive space, as I have a lot of music (~50 GB) and I'm constantly trying to shrink it down. I'm also concerned with stability... would a 7200 RPM place more "stress" on the battery?

Sep 4, 2011 11:10 PM in response to ofmontreal

Freeing Up Hard Disk Space - Mac Guides

Make sure your Mac meets Lion's minimum requirements before upgrading.

Apple - OS X Lion - Technical specifications

If you have PowerPC apps installed, be aware you will not be able to run those apps on Lion > Lion upgrade questions and answers: Apple Support Communities

as I have a lot of music (~50 GB)

iTunes purchases? iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

Sep 4, 2011 11:22 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of memory, and more than 7 GB of available space. I don't have OS X v10.6.6 or later (but am planning on getting Snow Leopard soon). I haven't reinstalled any applications or transferred any of my old files onto the laptop since reformatting it, but once I do, I'm sure I'll have somewhere around 95 GB available... which may sound like a lot, but it will fill up pretty quickly once I start downloading shows on iTunes... not to mention the countless software updates that pop up and start to gradually take up hard drive space.

want to increase internal hard drive space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.