Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP 7 Decides to Make My Life Worse

I am running FCP 7 on my MacBook. Since my internal hard drive lacks the room necessary for movie editing, I use an external hard drive, which is the only drive set to be used with FCP in the system settings. It has about 55 GB free, yet whenever I try to render, I receive an error:

"Insufficient disk space..."

I've researched solutions, and one that I've found is to delete the FCP preferences in the Library, and reboot. This works, for a short while, and then the message comes right back.

Does anyone know a permanent, or long term solution for this problem?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 11:48 PM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2011 8:08 AM in response to JopeJipper

>I use an external hard drive, which is the only drive set to be used with FCP in the system settings. It has about 55 GB free

55gb of free space is good if you have a 250gb, 320gb or maybe even a 400gb hard drive. If it's larger than that, you don't have enough free space. But more important is the amount of free space on your boot drive. The boot drive free space is used for temp and swap files; when there's not enough space, the system can perform poorly and do strange things.

Bottom line, always keep about 15% to 20% free space on all drives.

-DH

Sep 5, 2011 10:40 AM in response to JopeJipper

First, go to digitalrebellion.com and download preference manager. Use that to delete your fcp preferences.

It sounds like your preferences are getting corrupted. Might be something in your workflow that's causing the problem. preference manager will allow you to backup your preferences when they are working properly and restore them from this copy if necessary.

Sep 5, 2011 8:41 PM in response to JopeJipper

I'm using a SeaGate FreeAgent Pro (750 GB) partitioned 50/50. One is formatted MS-DOS (FAT 32) with 229 GB free, and one is formatted Mac OS Extended with 55 GB free, which I am using with FCP. My computer's internal hard drive space hovers around 2 GB free, which is why I use solely the external. It is connected with USB, but can be switched to Firewire.
I'm not sure where to find the sequence settings or codec.

Thank you so much for all the responses.

FCP 7 Decides to Make My Life Worse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.