Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clear dns cache?

How do I clear the DNS cache in Lion?

Walt

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 6:53 AM

In Terminal.app, run "sudo dscacheutil -flushcache"

11 replies

Feb 12, 2012 1:43 PM in response to coolmacapps

Is the command the same with OS 10.5?

I have been unable to access this Gradebook application from my computer at school since September. When I take the computer home, the Gradebook application works correctly... but at school, on the school's network, I get a error message "can't locate server" or something. The computer just keeps going back to the address where it was last year when the application worked correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Sep 10, 2013 4:26 PM in response to Titanium

The Mountain Lion command didn't seem to work for me. I got no indication the command had run, and I still couldn't access the Website's new server. Does Terminal.app give you any confirmation or indication the command executed? (I've never used it before.)

After I entered the command, Terminal.app asked me for my password (a post on another site said it would do this), but then it wouldn't let me enter anything at all. I hit return and just got a new command line. Then Terminal wouldn't let me try to run the command again -- when I entered it and hit return, it just gave me a new command line.

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, OS X 10.8.4, Safari 6.0.5

Jan 24, 2014 3:44 AM in response to lilyfromtoronto

I have had lots problems with websites not showing (and related emails not working) on my mac when DNS has changed despite resetting browsers and flushing DNS in terminal.

However, I found that if I checked the website using my ipad (on same broadband) the website would show properly.

Problem lies in the fact that my iMac is connected via cable. Remove the cable and switch to Wi-Fi and all is instantly resolved.

So guessing the problem lies in the router caching DNS - likely the same results could be achieved by resetting the router.

How to clear dns cache?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.