Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using AirPrint with Canon Printer?

Hi-

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma MX882 printer and am trying to use AirPrint from my iPhone 4 (SW V. 4.2.10). However after choosing to print a document, the iPhone reports that no printers can be found.

Is this printer not supported? If not, is there a way I can print documents wirelessly from my iPhone using this printer?

Thank you,

S

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Verizon iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 9:35 AM

12 replies

Sep 5, 2011 10:00 AM in response to Bluedunn

I recently bought a Brother laser printer. I checked into the whole AirPrint thing because the printer I had before wasn't compatible. Since I now have an iPhone 4, and Air Print capability, I thought it would be nice to be able to use that feature. I found out that at this time, there are only a handfull of HP printers that even support it!

I have always had HP printers up until now, but decided to go with Brother as the consumables were much cheaper. I decided I'd rather do without AirPrint if HP has the monopoly on it thus far. It would have been nice, but oh well!

Jan 2, 2012 12:43 AM in response to p Nicholas k

It seems the Canon PIXMA MX882 has WiFi but not AirPrint...

Is there any hope for a firmware upgrade? I just bought a new MX882, set it up, but it won't work with iPad... And retail seller won't take printer back if ink cartridges have been installed. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

• The Canon app for free at the Apple App Store, Easy-PhotoPrint only prints photos.

• Other iOS printing apps all have very mixed reviews: Printopia? Print n Share? PrintCentral?

Bummer... AirPrint seems to be very rarely supported, even now.

Jan 8, 2012 1:59 PM in response to GeoFan49

I got the same printer MX882. Unfortunately there is no support yet but Canon says they will update the firmware for Airprint on most Pixma series printers near future.

Here is a quick solution if you don't want to deal with Apps.

Go to download.com and look for Airprint Activator for Mac. I believe it is available for Windows as well.

I use it and works without any problem. The only thing is if you want to Airprint your Mac has to be on.

So far works great and my iDevices are able to see MX882 and print.

I hope this helps.

Using AirPrint with Canon Printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.