Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

merge iphoto libraries with iphoto library manager

i am about to merge two libraries on my imac using iphoto library manager - before i do i wanted to check and understand if it is better to.....

A. create a new library to merge the two libraries into (LIB A + LIB B go into LIB C)

B. make a duplicate of the larger library (DUP LIB A) and then merge (LIB B) into that (DUP of LIB A + LIB B)

C. merge the libraries into the larger one (LIB B into LIB A)

also, if i want my new merged library to be named iphoto library, do i need to rename LIB A (it is named iphoto library now) before i do a merge?

thanks!!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 9:19 AM

I would merge A and B into C.

After the merge I would simpy rename the Library like you would any file or folder.

Regards

TD

3 replies

Sep 5, 2011 9:48 AM in response to Yer_Man

just saw this:

One way to get the best of both worlds is to use the "Duplicate Library" command on one of the libraries before merging (preferably the largest one), and then merge the rest of the libraries into the duplicate library.Duplicating a library is faster than merging, since it's just a straight copy of the folder, rather than having to reimport all the photos into a new library. Another benefit of this method is that you will be able to preserve items that aren't copied during the merge process (such as folders, books, and slideshows) in the library you duplicate.

so if i do LIB A to LIB B = LIB C, will i lose all of my slideshows and books? i know you are the iphoto guru!!

also it is asking me if i want to import some duplicate photos, do i just click yes and apply to all duplicates and deal with it after the merge?

thank you so much, you are the best!!

merge iphoto libraries with iphoto library manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.