Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to move the window to use the close (X) button?

Hi,

When I want to close a window I have to move the window (even if it's only a tiny bit) before the button actually works.

How do I turn this "feature" off? It is extremley annoying!

Thanks 🙂

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 3:41 PM

Extra info: This doesn't happen to every program nor every instance of the same program. Sometimes I need to move the window, sometimes it works as normal (quits or asks to save) it is confusing as to why it does this I would appreciate any explination or help 🙂

4 replies

Sep 5, 2011 6:57 PM in response to eric_herts

My first guess is that the window is not currently "active" and that clicking it to move it makes it active. It's the click, not the move that's significant.

As an example, you are viewing this reply in your browser. Now click the finder desktop. You browser window was just made inactive (note the title of the window grays out in the inactive window). Just clicking anywhere in the inactive browser window reactivates it.

Is this what you are talking about?

Sep 5, 2011 10:57 PM in response to Don Archibald

Unfortunately that behavior has changed in Lion - at least with Preview: If I have a Preview window open, but inactive while I am typing this, I have to "activate" that window before I can close it. I find that annoying, but it is what it is. I've only noticed it with Preview so far.

Edit: And I just realized that this is the SL forum - duh. Everyone can just ignore my post......

Why do I have to move the window to use the close (X) button?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.