Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I host websites on Lion Server?

I've been hosting websites on an XServe and a couple of Mac Mini Servers for years now, but Lion Server on my latest Mac Mini Server has me stumped.

I've turned on the webserver and I can see my default website, modify the index.html.en file and see the changes, etc.

I've added another website using Server.app, set it to a different directory under .../Sites/ , dropped in a simple index.html, and all I see when I browse to it is the default site.

I've searched a bit here, but I keep finding stuff about enabling name-based virtual hosting, but wouldn't that already be on? I really don't think I should be mucking about with configuration files, should I?

Also, I used to be able to FTP files using a WebDAV Realm, but all the knobs for that stuff has disappeared. What's the official method for uploading websites to a Lion Server?

Many Thanks In Advance!

Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 7:23 PM

Well, I found:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190398?start=0&tstart=0

which says create a file:

/etc/apache2/sites/00000_MoreTestingRequired.conf

with a single line in it:

NameVirtualHost *:80

And it works, but that can't be right, can it? Shouldn't the web server on Lion Server work out of the box without resorting to the command line?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2011 7:23 PM in response to wpns

Well, I found:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3190398?start=0&tstart=0

which says create a file:

/etc/apache2/sites/00000_MoreTestingRequired.conf

with a single line in it:

NameVirtualHost *:80

And it works, but that can't be right, can it? Shouldn't the web server on Lion Server work out of the box without resorting to the command line?

How do I host websites on Lion Server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.