Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do I have to sign in to enable automatic downloads every time?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), 13" Mid 2009

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2011 4:58 AM in response to bman99

Open iTunes preferences and go to the Store pane, then uncheck everything, esp. the Always check for available downloads. 🙂

oh yeah, VERY IMPORTANT... forgot to tell you that you have to be signed in to your itunes store account to make these changes, or to even see what the current settings are. If you are not signed in to your itunes account the whole pane will be dimmed and will show all boxes unchecked... HOWEVER, once you sign in to your account and open the store pane, you will be able to see the current settings AND the "Always check for available downloads box is checked by default.

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: ProMaxed

Nov 27, 2011 5:05 PM in response to Russa

Hi -

I downloaded the iTunes update today. After the repeated requests to sign in, sometimes two or three times, every time I started iTunes (even though my account name was shown on all pages) started my search for an answer.

I finally deleted the com.apple.iTunes.plist file. Restarted iTunes. I was asked to sign in once, which was fine because I could see that I was logged out. I then reset all my preferences. That was a few hours ago. I do not know if it is completely fixed, but so far so good.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.