Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my audio file getting cut off at 10 min 55 sec?

I have an audio file I am trying to add to my video and I just found out it only imports the first 10 min and 55 sec. I was working on the audio and video clip for a couple of hours and just when I had things properly synced I started to review the whole segment and realized that the audio just goes blank at 10:55. The audio file I had imported was around 19:10 long. I checked it in iTunes to make sure the audio was there and it is perfectly fine. It's just when I import it to iMovie that it suddenly stops.

I am using iMovie 11 (9.0.4) and OS 10.7 (Lion).

Thanks

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 6:06 AM

Is your video at least the same length as the audio clip you've imported? The audio won't play beyond the final frame of video. If you add more video or still clips, you will then need to drag out the end of the audio clip - but again it won't run beyond the final frame.

Of course, you may already have enough video in the project to cover the imported audio - so my advice will not be relevant.

John

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2011 6:06 AM in response to guelphguy

Is your video at least the same length as the audio clip you've imported? The audio won't play beyond the final frame of video. If you add more video or still clips, you will then need to drag out the end of the audio clip - but again it won't run beyond the final frame.

Of course, you may already have enough video in the project to cover the imported audio - so my advice will not be relevant.

John

Sep 7, 2011 8:22 AM in response to John Cogdell

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. The audio is actually a separate audio source of what was on the video. It was from our national sales meeting and I knew the camera would be pretty far away from the person speaking so I put a separate mic close to the speaker and then I matched the audio and video files in iMovie. So they are approx the same length...give or take a few seconds. I checked the audio file on its own and it is the full 19 min that the video runs but when I import it from iTunes it only pulls in 10 min and 55 sec. It really doesn't make any sense. I guess I am going to have to use a different piece of software but I thought iMovie would handle it pretty easily.

Thanks

Sep 7, 2011 11:44 AM in response to guelphguy

guelphguy, try this:

It may be that your audio is recorded at a different 'sample rate' than the audio recorded with your video clip. One way to compensate for this is try and re-encode the audio clip to the sample rate that iMovie assumes both video and audio are using.

Download MPEG Streamclip, it's a free utility that allows you to do a lot of different conversions on audio and video clips. What we're going to to try is save an AIFF from 44.1kHz to 48kHz and re-import it into iMovie and see if there's a difference.

Once you download MPEG Streamclip, open it and go to File Menu> Open Files... and navigate out to your AIFF file. Make sure the drop down list at the bottom of the window has All Files listed (instead of just Audio or just Video). If you don't show all files, it will gray out files it doesn't recognize. Once you have your audio clip selected, click Open.

From the File Menu > Export Audio... choose AIFF and under Sample rate: choose 48kHz. Click OK

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Save the clip to the Desktop, maybe give it a different name (say #2 added to the end). Quit MPEG Streamclip.

In iMovie delete your audio clip from the Project timeline. Drag your new AIFF file to the project timeline and try to line it up to match your video clip. Some things to keep watch on is to make sure the duration of the Sound clip (how long it actually is on the time line) and the duration of the video clip your trying to match. If the two are different, the video is shorter/longer than the audio clip, I don't now what else to do. I think then it's a mismatch in the duration of the recorded audio versus what was recorded in the original video. And there's no magic really to make the two be the same inside of iMovie.

Sep 7, 2011 12:58 PM in response to elikness

Thanks... I am going to give it a try tonight. It's frustrating because I will have to re-edit the clips to bring up the sound at the points where there was some interferrence or wind noise. Hopefully this will do it. I had thought that maybe there was an issue with compatible sound files but I thought that if it manages to import it at all then it should work.

I will update this thread once I give it a try.

Sep 7, 2011 1:26 PM in response to guelphguy

Generally you are correct that if it manages to import at all then it should work. But that's not the case with syncing seperately recorded sound with existing video (so-called 2 system sound). It's kind of a special case and iMovie doesn't know that it needs to keep everything in exactly the same formats, sound samples etc. It makes a good effort, but not a perfect one. If the length of the audio is closer to the original video when you drag the audio clip to the timeline, then you will know the sample rates match up.

Sep 8, 2011 11:11 AM in response to elikness

Thanks!

I didn't do what you suggested above because I figured I would try converting the audio file to ACC directly in iTunes and see if that imported properly first. It did work so I re-edited the whole thing and it worked fine.

I did download MPEG Streamclip though because I need a proper audio tool for all the video I have been doing lately.

Thanks for your help!

Why is my audio file getting cut off at 10 min 55 sec?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.