Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the process to unlock an iPhone 4 once I have the unlock code

I'm leaving work but keeping my iphone 4. Thet have provided me with a PAC details to keep my number and given me an a five digit unlock code. What do i need to do with this ? I'm waiting for a new sim card to arrive which will be using the O2 network. My Company service was Vodafone. What do I do when the new sim arrives. Not sure whether I should take the old sim out then synch with itunes or what to expect from itunes when I do this. I just want to make sure I do everything in the right order and not loose anything on my phone if possible. Many thanks for any help.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 5:59 AM

An iPhone is not unlocked with an unlock code. An iPhone is only unlocked when the provider it is locked to notifies Apple that the phone should be unlocked. Once this has happened you connect the phone to iTunes, with the new SIM installed. iTunes will query Apple's database, and if the IMEI is listed as unlocked your phone will be unlocked. This is the ONLY legitimate way to unlock an iPhone.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2011 5:59 AM in response to Primer Driver

An iPhone is not unlocked with an unlock code. An iPhone is only unlocked when the provider it is locked to notifies Apple that the phone should be unlocked. Once this has happened you connect the phone to iTunes, with the new SIM installed. iTunes will query Apple's database, and if the IMEI is listed as unlocked your phone will be unlocked. This is the ONLY legitimate way to unlock an iPhone.

Sep 6, 2011 12:53 PM in response to Primer Driver

I suspect you are correct ,

go talk to Vodafone direct and find out their terms for unlocking as only Vodafone can arrange the unlocking no one else .

As said above there is no code that you can use

( I have had 2 x iphones unlocked by O2 ) There is no user involvement ,the carrier on agreeing to unlock, informs Apple who change the status on their records of the iPhone and then with a different sim installed attaching to iTunes unlocks the iPhone

What is the process to unlock an iPhone 4 once I have the unlock code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.