Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp & External HardDrive

Is it possible to use Boot Camp to create a Windows partition on an external hard drive that is formated for Mac so the same drive can be used to back up both the Mac partition and the Windows partition? Would do this using the backup feature in Lion and a backup software program under Win7 Pro.

iMac 27" Intel i5 2.7GHz Late Model

16GB RAM

OSX Lion

Windows 7 Professional

The internal HDD has been partitioned using Boot Camp and am currently using both Win7 Pro and Lion on the same machine.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Intel i5 2.7GHz 16GB RAM

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 11:29 AM

9 replies

Sep 6, 2011 11:57 AM in response to Kappy

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I am running Lion and Win7 Pro on partitions of the internal HDD in my iMac. I do not want to run window or boot from the external drive. The external drive is formatted for OSX and I want to partition it and have a partition as is with OSX and a partiton formatted for Windows so I can use the same external drive for backing up both systems.

If Boot Camp is not the best way, what is?

Sep 6, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Triple E

OK. Gotcha.

The easy solution is to partition the drive using GUID and formatting using exFAT on the Windows/Mac partition and formatting for OS X on the Mac-only partition. Do this using Disk Utility.

Drive Preparation

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to two. Size each to your preference. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the partition you will use on both Windows and Mac, click on the Erase tab in the DU main window. Set the Format type to exFAT, then click on the Erase button.

Sep 6, 2011 12:22 PM in response to Kappy

I am not sure I completely understand. I see that I need one OSX partition, but why do I need an OSX/Windows partition. Would I not want an OSX partiton and a seperate NTSF partition? I am new to the imac, having used PCs since forever. Is GUID something already part of my Mac software? I am at work, not at my Mac right now.

Sep 6, 2011 12:28 PM in response to Triple E

Do I then understand that one partition is for exclusive use by OS X while the other is for exclusive use by Windows? If so, then partition the drive using GUID, format one partition using Disk Utility to Mac OS Extended, Journaled. Format the other using exFAT. If you wish you can reformat the Windows volume to NTSF, but you will not be able to write to that volume when booted into OS X. The exFAT format provides most of the benefits of NTSF but can be written to by OS X. However, use whichever you prefer as either works with Windows.

Sep 6, 2011 1:09 PM in response to Kappy

Exactly. Each partition will be for the exclusive use by their respective systems.

What is the best way to reformat the exFat drive to NTSF? I want the two partitions completely seperate, and "never the twain shall meet".

I really appreciate the help. I got a 3TB drive so I can keep multiple copies of backups to guarantee I can restore a clean copy if something goes wrong. Again, thanks!

Boot Camp & External HardDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.