Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport roaming network: same channel or different channels?

In setting up an Airport roaming network should I set all the Airports to use the same channel, or different channels?

This does not appear to be addressed in the Airport documentation or knowledgebase articles (at least not in the ones I have found so far) ... and there are conflicting recommendations in this forum and other forums on the question of channel settings for a roaming Airport network.

I understand the basic Airport settings & roaming settings (SSID, p/w, bridge mode, etc) ... just looking for a definitive answer about configuring all the AP's to use the same channel or use different channels in a roaming network.

For what it's worth, I currently have 1 Airport Express (802.11 a/b/g/n) as my primary access point. With only 1 access point there are signal strength problems in various areas around my house, detached garage & yard. I'd like to replace this setup with an Airport Extreme + 2 Airport Express units and use all 3 in a roaming network. I have wired ethernet to all 3 locations I've chosen, so that's not an issue.

24" iMac/3.06GHz/4GB/1TB-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 15" MBP/2.66GHz/4GB/300GB + 7TB

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 12:54 PM

13 replies

Nov 19, 2017 10:27 AM in response to jpcanavera

There are basically two methods to "extend" a wireless network using Apple base stations:

1. An extended network where the connections between base stations are wireless, and
  2. An extended network where the connections between base stations are wired.

In the first method, most likely, what you have set up, the wireless channels must be the same. The ability to change channels is disabled by default with this type of network configuration.

In the second method, which is known as a roaming network, each base station must broadcast its own wireless network, but use the same network name and security as all of the other base stations being used. With this type of network, you want to use different wireless channels, especially for base stations that may be near one another.

Nov 19, 2017 8:31 AM in response to Bob Timmons

This is an old thread, but it still hasn't quite answered the question for me. I've set up an extended wireless network using an Airport Extreme as my main router and an Airport Express as the extended router. The Extreme is set to Automatic on the 2.4 Mhz side. The Express gives no option since it is running in Extended mode as a Bypass so IP addresses come from the Extreme. I notice on the 5 Mhz side each device is using a different channel. the 2.4 Mhz side however on the Express is using the same channel as the Extreme. To me as best I understand that can create a conflict, thus wireless interference. Is there something different in the Apple environment that allows multiple Airports to be broadcasting on the same channel to be successful without problems?

Nov 19, 2017 10:23 AM in response to jpcanavera

Is there something different in the Apple environment that allows multiple Airports to be broadcasting on the same channel to be successful without problems?

No, and unfortunately there is not really anything that you can do about this other than try resetting the AirPort Express, since there are no settings available to manually set the channels on an AirPort that is wirelessly extending the network.

Things would be much better if you can connect the AirPort Express back to the main base station using a wired Ethernet cable connection.....because this type of setup will allow you to manually set the channels on the AirPort Express.

In addition, by connecting the AirPorts together using a wired connection, you will avoid the loss of at least half of the potential speed on the network that always occurs when you wirelessly extend a network.

Nov 19, 2017 5:35 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the responses. Fortunately I'm only supplementing service for my weather station hub and my garage door opener by placing the Airport Express in the kitchen area. My Extreme is at the other end of the house in a bedroom by my cable modem. At this point thru put isn't a big issue since the weather stations and garage door opener use very little data. I'm using the 5 Ghz to service the backhaul between the routers and the devices pretty much run off 2.4 Ghz. Occasional I'll use an iPad or iPhone in the area that the Express services. I've not really seen any degradation of service to this point.

Nov 19, 2017 6:15 PM in response to jpcanavera

I've not really seen any degradation of service to this point.

The potential speed of the network is always reduced by half or more when you extend using a wireless connection. But, if your Internet connection speed is less than the reduced potential speed on the network, then you won't notice the loss of speed.....because your network is still faster than your Internet connection.

I'm using the 5 Ghz to service the backhaul between the routers

5 GHz signals are significantly weaker than 2.4 GHz, so If you can make 5 GHz work for this, that is great.

Sep 6, 2011 1:14 PM in response to MartinR

n setting up an Airport roaming network should I set all the Airports to use the same channel, or different channels?

Different channels for a roaming network, separated by at least 4-5 channels. The "Automatic" setting for Channel in AirPort Utility is a good choice to select for this. But, you can manually assign the channels as well if you prefer.

Apple's support document on this does not mention manually setting the channels, since the default for this setting is "Automatic".

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

and there are conflicting recommendations in this forum and other forums on the question of channel settings for a roaming Airport network.

Not really, allowing for personal tastes.

If you were configuring an "extended" network with devices connecting using wireless only, then they would all use the same channel. But, this happens automatically when you configure the device to "extend a wireless network".

Sep 6, 2011 1:57 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your quick reply.

allowing for personal tastes.

Yes, that is one of the great causes of confusion. Could it be merely the responder's personal taste, or could it be a responder's intimate understanding of wireless networking, or on the other extreme, perhaps complete misunderstanding of wireless networking?

In other threads, different responders have been quite forceful about their recommendations that unfortunately range from "always use the same channel on all AP's" to "always use a different channel on each AP" for roaming. So, where's the truth. What is the correct technical setup? Or does it not matter at all?

Sep 6, 2011 2:02 PM in response to MartinR

Apple put the "Automatic" Channel setting there for a reason. I recommend that you use it.

If you use "Automatic", and you check to see which channels are being used, it is very likely that you will find that the routers are using different channels....separated by 4-5 settings. At times it will be more, but rarely will it ever be less.

Relax....let the Apple routers make the right choices for you.

Oct 16, 2011 2:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

"Apple put the "Automatic" Channel setting there for a reason. I recommend that you use it."

Well, let me tell you this: it doesn't work with me!

I have an Airport Extreme (3rd gen) as the main, and a wired AExp (n) as the roaming partner (same network name, "creat wireless network").

Now, if I have both on the same channel (i.e., The Extreme in Automatic and after seeing it has chosen ch. 11 for the 2.4 GHz freq., I manually assign ch. 11 to the Express), everything works fine, and I have an excellent wireless signal and speed in the room where the AExp is, using my MacBook Pro, iphone, squeezebox.

But if I also put the AExp on Automatic (it just happens it choses ch. 3), I am not able to enter my 2.4 GHz network on my MacBook (even though I get a weak signal in the 5GHz network direcly from the AExt at the other end).

Any thoughts, or am I missing something? Thanks!

PS - Both are in bridge mode!

Oct 17, 2011 12:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Oh yes! Powering off everything (and taking off power cords), then plugging back and restarting cable modem, router, Airport Extreme and, after this one is "green", the AExp with either a profile with "automatic" for wireless channel (and no connection possible!), or another, identical, profile except selecting ch. 11 (the one assigned to 2.4 GHz by the automatic mode in the AExtreme) - and here I get a perfect wi-fi signal (see below).

What could it be?

I am just a 25 year Mac user, but with no tech expertise and just some iterative learning-by-doing that these beautiful and intuitive systems allow! Thanks!

User uploaded file

PS - Sorry, was not able to paste the image of the Airport info menu, but it says:

PHY Mode: 802.11n

BSSID: ...

Channel: 11 (2.4 GHz)

Security: WPA2 Personal

RSSI: -39

Transmit Rate: 130

MCS Index: 15

Message was edited by: Francisco Soares

Oct 17, 2011 1:27 PM in response to Francisco Soares

I have played around with the Apple routers here that are all setup to work within a roaming network type configuration and I cannot duplicate your issue. Using the "Automatic" Channel setting has always worked fine for me with no issues.

Manually setting the channels works fine as well as long as each router is on a different channel that is 4-5 channels away from the closest other device.

If Manual is the only setting that will work for you, your decision would appear to already be made.

Airport roaming network: same channel or different channels?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.