Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I watch a movie on tv connected via hdmi and keep working on the main screen ?

I know it is possible to connect an hdmi tv via a mini display or thunderbolt adapter.

I would like to know how the handling of the external screen and audio works.

Specifically if the movie (played by iTunes or VLC) can play on the tv screen

while the main screen remains available for normal computer taks (browsing / email).

Having independent audio (movie playing application plays its audio through hdmi, browser through the regular mac audio ) would be ideal

but not strictly required.

If the above is possible, then we could buy a second family mac to keep permanently connected to the tv for movies !

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 2:14 PM

2 replies

Sep 6, 2011 5:46 PM in response to edoardoc

Well... Yes and No...

YES: You CAN play movies in things like iTunes and move its window to the TV display (in Extended Desktop mode) and at the same time, work on other things on the main computer display.

but....

NO: You can NOT play a movie in FULL SCREEN MODE on the external display (tv) and still work on your main computer display. When you enter into Full Screen, the other displays go completely black and if you click out of that mode (like back into Finder), then you lose out and pop back out of the Full sized video.

BUT....

It IS POSSIBLE to just manually drag the movie window to its maximum viewing size (almost full screen) and still be able to work away with other apps on your main display. The Downfall of doing this is that on the tv, your movie will be partially showing the Top / Bottom window frames. But that's it's... the video is still ALMOST the whole entire TV screen.

Having independent audio (movie playing application plays its audio through hdmi, browser through the regular mac audio ) would be ideal

but not strictly required.

Nope... this one's is a bit tougher (as in not do-able). In the System Sound Settings, that is where you set your Audio (which is EVERYTHING that your Mac is playing.. beeping... chirping...) to either play thru your internal speakers or to be sent OUT via HDMI to those speakers on the tv, etc. It is unable to split out audio to different sources from different applications.

Hope this helps...

Sep 7, 2011 3:48 AM in response to ToothpickProductions

Clear thanks

it'd be nice if on a two screen setup one app could go full screen without impacting the other screen

and for the audio - I thought that was far-fetched.

VLC allows for audio device selection, don't know if it can bypass the system prefernces

but in any case it may not be able to play videos rented from itunes with DRM

thanks again

Can I watch a movie on tv connected via hdmi and keep working on the main screen ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.