Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 10 library backup - invalid file name or file name too long

Hi guys,

My current Toshiba laptop is literally on its way out..I am trying to back up my itunes library (about 4000 songs, movies, tv shows, etc.) and save it to an external hard drive. But every time I try to do it, it works for a few minutes but then an error message pops up that says "file name invalid or file name is too long" and it stops all progress. How do I get around this error or find out which song files are invalid or too long?

Any help is appreciated. I just want to make sure i don't lose all my songs that i've taken a lot of years to compile.

Windows XP

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 3:13 PM

4 replies

Sep 6, 2011 5:19 PM in response to diesel vdub

Diesel vdub, could you offer me a little more detail? My current itunes library is made up of songs from 3-4 different folders already and i tried to consolidate them into one folder already, but that is when the "invalid file name/file name too long" error message popped up.

I want to transfer over all my songs, videos, movies, etc. so that my new itunes library (when i get it) is exactly the same as my current with song titles alphabetized, play counts, ratings, etc. are retained...thanks again.

Jul 4, 2012 5:58 AM in response to brunswick_nfpy

I recommend backing up with the tool in this User Tip. Unlike copying via Windows Explorer it will copy every file that can be copied, and if there are files that cannot be copied it will list them in detail so that you can at least back them up manually. Ideally your backup location should be near the root of a drive rather than deeply nested.

tt2

Itunes 10 library backup - invalid file name or file name too long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.