Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD drive issue and permissions repair

Forgive me if I'm combining two issues in this posting. If they are not related I can separate them out.

I don't know if my drive is going, but I have a DVD for a tv show that I wanted to watch on my Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard (latest patches). For a while now I've had to keep reinserting the disc because it's not registering. I put it in, and can hear mechanisms, then it spits it back out.

I watched one disc, ejected it then tried to play another and it just would not load.

I thought of checking disk permissions, thinking maybe the OS had some permissions problems that may be preventing it from reliably reading the disc. The disk utility reported a number of permissions errors and owner errors, so I repaired the permissions and it reported that it was completed successfully. I thought I'd run the verify permissions again, just to make sure the errors had really been repaired, and they're still there - some of them were gone, but there were others reported. I ran the repair and verify a number of times now and nothing's changed.

My questions:

1. Could the problem I'm seeing with my DVD drive be related to permissions of some of the system files?

2. Do I have anything to worry about with the disk permissions not appearing to be repaired?

3. Would I gain anything by booting to install media and running the verify and repair from there?

Thanks much in advance!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 4:57 PM

1 reply

Sep 6, 2011 7:53 PM in response to MrsSpooky

Could the problem I'm seeing with my DVD drive be related to permissions of some of the system files?

If you've repaired permissions, and you still have the problem, then the answer is no.

Do I have anything to worry about with the disk permissions not appearing to be repaired?

Mac OS X: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

Would I gain anything by booting to install media and running the verify and repair from there?

No.

DVD drive issue and permissions repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.