Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes does not recognize that I've plugged my iPhone in

I probably last synced my iPhone yesterday morning. But when I plug it in now, iTunes does not seem to think there is anything plugged in at all. I've rebooted my Mac (MacBook Pro 10.6.8), I've rebooted my phone (iPhone 4 4.3.5) and I've swapped the cable out. All to know avail. Also, since I have a wireless mouse, I moved the USB receiver over to the port I normally plug the sync cable into, and it works fine. I do find the following in the console logs:

9/6/11 9:15:15 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd[984]) posix_spawn("/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/usbmuxd", ...): No such file or directory

9/6/11 9:15:15 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd[984]) Exited with exit code: 1

9/6/11 9:15:15 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

I looked, and indeed the file is not there. I would think that the file is root owned and I can't imagine anything I could have done that would have deleted it, if indeed that's the problem.

Any ideas?

-- Rob

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 9:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 11:15 AM

Problem solved. Googled the log entry and it appears that if you install or update Xcode (Apple's development environment), a lot of the mobile framework is deleted. The result is the symptoms I originally described. Update Xcode from same same DMG and it all comes back. Since I had updated Xcode maybe only a day or two before I discovered I couldn't sync, I ran the update again. And yes, it all came back. This is an Apple oopsie worthy of Microsoft.

~ Rob

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2011 11:15 AM in response to caspersgrin

Problem solved. Googled the log entry and it appears that if you install or update Xcode (Apple's development environment), a lot of the mobile framework is deleted. The result is the symptoms I originally described. Update Xcode from same same DMG and it all comes back. Since I had updated Xcode maybe only a day or two before I discovered I couldn't sync, I ran the update again. And yes, it all came back. This is an Apple oopsie worthy of Microsoft.

~ Rob

iTunes does not recognize that I've plugged my iPhone in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.