Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Script Help please

Pleasewrite an AppleScript for the following scenario: You need to ping the address10.32.8.151 every 5 seconds and report to the current logged in user via adialog box and email a set address when the IP has failed to respond to morethen 6 pings or 30 seconds. Upon failure of the 6 ping test please have thescript run a trace route and export it to a file named tracereport.txt on~/Desktop

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 8:53 PM

5 replies

Sep 6, 2011 11:24 PM in response to Ry6001

This sounds remarkably like a homework assignment to me...

I'm guessing something like this covers most of your points.

property theAddress : "10.32.8.151"

global missedPings

on run

set missedPings to 0 -- initialize the counter

end run

on idle

try

do shell script "/sbin/ping -c 1 -t 1 " & theAddress

on error

set missedPings to missedPings + 1

if missedPings = 6 then

networkDown()

tell me to quit

end if

end try

return 5

end idle

on networkDown()

do shell script "/usr/sbin/traceroute " & theAddress & " &> " & quoted form of POSIX path of ((path to desktop as text) & "tracereport.txt") & " &"

do shell script "/bin/echo 'Network missed 6 pings' | /usr/bin/mail -s 'Network down' user@somedomain.com"

display alert "Oops. Network failure" giving up after 5

end networkDown

Apr 19, 2012 2:23 PM in response to Camelot

Hey Camelot! This is great. I couldn't write this myself because I'm not very familiar with AppleScript. But I can alter your script a little to suit my needs. This is great.

I've been trying to figure out a solution to a problem like this for days! Thanks!!!

🙂

( You were awfully nice to write the script in the first place, considering how it was asked for. )

Regards,

-Mike

Apple Script Help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.