Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get Garageband 11 to stretch out a note using Flex Time

Hey all

I've recorded with a real guitar using a USB adapter and I can move a note thats in the wrong position OK but I cant stretch out a note to make it longer using Flex Time.

Its the last note of the song. It just always seems to split the note and move it as opposed to drag/lengthen it out.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 5:54 AM

10 replies

Sep 8, 2011 12:37 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

But not WELL. First of all it's a round-about way to make something sound good, when a simple re-recording and cutting in the new note is all it takes. Secondly, we're talking garageband, which is hardly industry standard for recording software.

Yeah, they even make free auto-tune programs. But wouldn't it sound a million times "better" (i use the term loosely with auto-tune) to use the actual auto tune in ProTools?

Sep 8, 2011 5:35 AM in response to shippo_uk

I could not try it with an USB-guitar, but with vocals and flutes the following seems to work:

The last note behaves differently from all other notes, it will move and not stretch.

So the remedy is to make sure that there is no space to move into: Paste some dummy loop right behind your last note in the track ( you can delete it afterwards) and then stretch the previously last note by grabbing it in the middle, where the volume is highest, not close to the end (that might split it).

Good luck

Sep 15, 2011 10:30 AM in response to léonie

leonieDF wrote:

I could not try it with an USB-guitar, but with vocals and flutes the following seems to work:

The last note behaves differently from all other notes, it will move and not stretch.

So the remedy is to make sure that there is no space to move into: Paste some dummy loop right behind your last note in the track ( you can delete it afterwards) and then stretch the previously last note by grabbing it in the middle, where the volume is highest, not close to the end (that might split it).

Good luck

I cant get this above method to work.

The way they showed it on the apple adverts for Garageband 11 really isnt how it works at all.

Jul 14, 2013 12:53 PM in response to shippo_uk

I have had the same problem too. Also recorded from a USB guitar interface, but not sure if that is relevant at this point. I have tried a few things to see if I could isolate the cause. Sometimes single shot recordings work right away, sometimes they don't. Somtimes combining clips cause Flextime to stop working. I have completely rebuit a project. Selected individual clips to play solo and exported the result. Took that output and placed it back into a new song and was able to stretch it for the most part. Which led me to believe that it was clip corruption causing the problem. However, while working to get some usable audio clips for a guitar solo, the flextime problems with garageband are starting to make it unusable. Right now I have two clips side by side in the song. I can stretch the timing anywhere in either of the clips. But if I join the clips, flextime no longer works in the joined region. It will only split the notes apart. So if either of those clips were corrupted, flextime would not work in one of them.

I have found ways to get flextime working normally again, sometimes taking up to an hour. Then five minutes later it breaks again. I'm getting really tired of having to recreate my songs to get flextime working again. It would be nice if someone would look into this problem sometime before the year is out.

I can't get Garageband 11 to stretch out a note using Flex Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.