Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS Outlook Calendar, with color categories, sync to iPad?

I am an attorney. I use the color categories in MS Outlook calendar to designate the various courts that I appear in. I need either an app that will sync with Outlook calendar, including the color categories, or, if that is impossible, to at least be able to view and alter MS Outlook from my iPad. Using separate calendars for each court is not a good work-around since I would have to maintain 10 or more calendars at the office on the PCs and they would all have to be open and overlayed to ensure that although a new open date in one court was not already scheduled in another court. I am using Pocket Informant, which does a good job of everything but it only syncs when I get back to the office and am in proximity to the PC. I have tried MS Office 365, but it does not sync the color categories.

Since half the planet uses Outlook, I have to believe that it would be in someone's interest to produce such an app if it doesn't already exist.

Please help!

iPad

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 5:40 AM

13 replies

Sep 7, 2011 7:30 AM in response to gregory262

Just sync your computers and iPad with Google calendar or Yahoo! calendar. Pretty sure the colors carry over. If not, simply enough to set the color for each category/layer/calendar there.

See this -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3296832?answerId=16054839022#16054839022

and this -> http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/calendar/yahoocalendar/layers/layers-03.html

Sep 7, 2011 8:58 AM in response to gregory262

If you are also using MS Exchange, you can sync your Outlook calendar with the iPad's iCal calendar. This is what I do.

The more difficult issue you will face is that the iPad Calendar's color choices follow a prescribed order based on a particular calendar, and each color represents all the entries in a specific calendar. In order to use different colors as you describe, you may have to designate each color as a different calendar (or court in your case) -- not the solution you were looking for. And even then, the colors on the iPad may not match the colors in Outlook (just tried it with mine and the color categorization did not transfer over). Color representation in iCal on the iPad is a feature that is not fully user friendly I'm afraid, particularly when syncing.

Sep 7, 2011 9:30 PM in response to Tgara

Tgara, your right, the color choices is the issue! I have no problem syncing Outlook to iCal, 4dcalendar or even the calendar that comes with iPad. I have and have tried them all. The issue is the color categories. I use Microsoft Exchange and this doesn't buy me anything. The problem is the receiving end. There doesn't seem to be a program or app out there that uses the same type of color categorization that Outlook does. They have all followed Apples lead with the multiple calendar approach, which is bulky and inefficient and far too difficult to work with within Outlook, where I would need to manage 10 or more separate calendars, as opposed to simply categorizing each new event or appointment.

It's hard to believe that given the wide spread use of MS Outlook that no one has developed an app that will sync with it, on it's own terms, instead of trying to convert it to Apple styles which have never found success in the area of calendar management. Most people who use Office for Mac complain about it's attempt to mimic Outlook. Yet no one has taken the initiative to create a calendar that works with Outlook seamlessly. I would bet my retirement account that the person who does will sell a lot of apps.

Jan 7, 2014 8:15 PM in response to gregory262

Touchdown from nitrodesk works perfectly for both displaying the calendar with the correct colored categories and creating appointments with the categories. These categories are pulled from exchange and you can also create new ones so should be exactly what you need. You can also pick any color to assign to each category.

Nov 30, 2015 8:05 PM in response to Ron Menna

IM looking for this functionality as well. I, too, find it hard to believe that some app developer hasn't satisfied this requirement by including it in their calendar app. I find it even harder to believe that Apple doesn't see the benefit in this feature rather than relying on maintaining multiple calendars simply to colorize an event. Having this feature available is really the only reason I use Outlook on my Mac.

Dec 20, 2015 9:39 AM in response to RW66

I have been following various posts on the topic of not being able to see the Outlook categories on the I phone or Ipad. Whilst it is very disappointing that Apple have not addressed this issue, Microsoft isn't blameless. Last night I downloaded Outlook for my Ipad and was astonished that it fails to include categories which for many of us is an integral part of our day to day use.

Categories are so important to me and many of my workmates that we have turned down the opportunity of owning an Iphone for this one and only reason. I searched the web high and low for a solution but so far have yet to come across a sensible solution.

MS Outlook Calendar, with color categories, sync to iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.