Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single user can't log in, rest of LDAP works

I seem to have run into a weird problem where one of my users cannot log in, but everyone else can.

Originally I thought it was a bad password, so I changed it in WGM to something generic and he tried it, it still said "bad password" both in the login screen and in the LDAP log.

I changed it again, same thing happens.

What happened? What can I do? The rest of the system is working flawlessly.

Intel Xserve 2011, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 9:20 AM

5 replies

Sep 7, 2011 9:40 AM in response to evets90

The error in the log looks like this when I change the password:

"<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>\n<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC \"-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN\" \"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd\">\n<plist version=\"1.0\">\n<dict>\n\t<key>dsAliasVersion</key>\n\t<string>Directory Services 1.0</string>\n\t<key>dsRecordLocation</key>\n\t<array>\n\t\t<string>LDAPv3</str ing>\n\t\t<string>127.0.0.1</string>\n\t</array>\n\t<key>dsRecordName</key>\n\t< array>\n\t\t<string>frechette</string>\n\t</array>\n\t<key>dsRecordType</key>\n\ t<string>dsRecTypeStandard:Users</string>\n</dict>\n</plist>\n"

frechette

} with name frechette error Error Domain=com.apple.OpenDirectory Code=4102 UserInfo=0x10211aa70 "Unable to create record frechette in /Local/Default."

Sep 7, 2011 4:15 PM in response to evets90

The big red flag for me is this line:

Unable to create record frechette in /Local/Default.

It shouldn't be creating the record in /Local/Default, it should be updating it in /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1.

If this is happening to more than one user, I'm thinking it could be directory corruption.

On the overview page of the Open Directory service in Server Admin, does it list LDAP Server, Password Server and Kerberos all as running?

What are the results of the following command, entered in terminal?

sudo changip -checkhostname

You will have to enter your password for sudo. Please copy/paste the result of the command, without obfuscating any of the domain names or IP addresses.

Sep 7, 2011 6:12 PM in response to John.Kitzmiller

John.Kitzmiller wrote:

On the overview page of the Open Directory service in Server Admin, does it list LDAP Server, Password Server and Kerberos all as running?

What are the results of the following command, entered in terminal?

sudo changip -checkhostname

You will have to enter your password for sudo. Please copy/paste the result of the command, without obfuscating any of the domain names or IP addresses.

Server Admin says LDAP server, password server, and Kerberos are all running.

The output of changeip (not changip) -check hostname is this:

Primary address = [our xserve's external IP of ethernet 2]

Current HostName = server.server.edu [obfuscating the real name, but it is that of the OD master's DNS name]

DNS Hostname = server.server.edu [same as above]

The names match. There is nothing to change.

dirserv:success="success"

Seems ok on that front to me....

Single user can't log in, rest of LDAP works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.