Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete mail

I use the standard mail facility on my iPad 2. I receive my mail via a POP3 connection.

The problemen is I cannot delete any mail. Nor can I create new mailboxes. The wastebasket symbol works fine, but after deleting a message it returns "Unable to delete the message". Who can help me out?

iPad 2, iOS 4, iOS 4.3.5

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 11:28 AM

Try rebooting the iPad by pressing and holding the on/off and home buttons simultaneously until the screen goes blank and you see the apple logo. It should take about10-15 seconds to reboot.

7 replies

Sep 7, 2011 12:27 PM in response to trrlightning

No and I cannot see why I should, because everything else is working ok.

But in another thread I found the solution:

Re: Cannot delete mail

Jul 15, 2010 6:09 PM (in response to jeansheller)

there is an easy fix for it.

go to Settings

Mail, Contacts, Calendar

tap the email account on the list

go to Advanced Settings

tap "Deleted Mailbox'

select 'Trash' (yes it's already checked but select it again)

That will fix the problem.

iPad

And it did! Can't figure out why, but I think it's a bug to be fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks

Aug 2, 2015 12:51 PM in response to p.fromr

A note to those still having a similar problem. I had this problem with a particular email account on all my devices, once of which had iOS7 and another iOS8. Couldn't delete messages as described in the original question. The problem turned out to be that the Apple mail tries to move the deleted messages to the local Trash folder by default, and my email account didn't like that. So I changed the settings to move deleted messages to a Trash folder on the server, and that fixed the problem.

To change the settings, go to "Settings" on your device, then click "Mail, Contacts, Calendar", select, the problematic mail account, click on it, then click on the name of the account again until you get to the screen "Account", which shows all the server settings. Scroll down, click on "Advanced". Once there, click on "Deleted Mailbox" and select a destination folder on the server (e.g., Trash), and NOT the Trash folder on your device.

Unable to delete mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.