Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS zones for Mail virtual host

Hello,

We have a split DNS server hosting mail for company.com. So we have a DNS zone called company.com with the appropriate records (A, MX).

We now need in the same box to host mail for another domain, company.org. Do we have to create a separate DNS zone for company.org with another A record for the server?

Regards

Kostas

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 3:53 PM

Yes.

6 replies

Sep 7, 2011 8:15 PM in response to Kostas B

Actually, it's not often that MrHoffman and I disagree, but this is one of those cases...

Do we have to create a separate DNS zone for company.org with another A record for the server

No. At least you do need to create a new zone for company.org, but you don't need an A record if you're only handling mail. It's perfectly valid for mail for company.org to be processed by mail.company.com. Just add an MX record that points to the mail server for company.com.

In fact, if company.com and company.org are essentially the same (i.e. have a common set of users), this may actually be preferable.

Sep 8, 2011 2:53 AM in response to Kostas B

If you're going strictly for mail and with no other network services are associated, then Camelot is quite correct and you can use an MX, and enable virtual hosting within the mail server.

If you're doing "other stuff" with that domain, then you'll need the zone.

Given the usual fondness for, well, "incomplete" questions and for server configurations and networks that, um, "evolve", then the answer I'd use is "yes"; add the zone. (If for no other reason than somebody's eventually going to want a web server with the domain, or...)

I'm not a big fan of split-horizon though I can and do use it for specific cases. I prefer to partition "inside" from "outside", and that avoids this quagmire.

And FWIW, "example.com", "example.org" and "example.net" are RFC-reserved domain names available for posting obfuscated examples and questions, for documentation, and related use. "company.com" and "company.org" are real and registered domains.

DNS zones for Mail virtual host

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.